Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 2001 maxima that doesn't accelerate won't go past

I have a 2001 maxima that doesn't accelerate won't go past 10 or 15 mph with high revolution . it sounds smooth and great at idle but if I press the pedal it bogs down and won't go over 1500 or 2000 rpm . I have code p0340, p1336, p0505 .

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If you have a P0505 code, you need to remove and replace the IAC and Ecm both at the same time to resolve your issue. Then if you have any other codes, then you would then diagnose the other codes.

The reason why you don't worry about any other codes is cause the IAC ( idle air control ) damages the Ecm. The IAC has coolant going around the chamber to cool it. So there is a gasket for the IAC. ( Idle Air Control ). When this gasket fails, coolant seeps onto the IAC motors and shorts them out. When this happens your Idle will raise, be irratic, the car won't start and do all sorts of idle type issues, then it will get into running issues. But also, at this point when the IAC gets shorted, it also damages the ECM where it would control the IAC. So if you were to replace the IAC, the Ecm since that circuit is damaged, will damage the new IAC. So what needs to be done to correct this, is to replace the IAC and the ECM both at the same time. Other wise you will never get a head of the issue. Then you will need to reprogram all your keys for your car and have a Idle relearn performed.

I made a video on this. It's 6 parts cause back when I made them I could not upload a long enough video. See link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLK48DtDM1g

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have

provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's the first thing I changed and got the computer "remanufactured" but I still have that code and I also bought new cam and both crank sensors (pos) and (ref) I just rescanned it and now I also have the code p1320

If you have a P0505 code still, something is wrong with the IAC or the Ecm and both need to be replaced.

The P1320 is a ignition primary code. That normally requires all 6 coils to be replaced.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok and what can you tell me about the p0340 and p1336 ? And what's that bogging sound that pops when I accelerate at idle or even on drive that sounds like the car wants to die and won't idle over 1500 ?

I disregard any codes until I get the P0505 code resolved.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I replaced idle control valve , coils, cleaned throttle body, new cam and crank... No more p0505 but it still runs horrible (no power) and bogs down and dies if o accelarate... Wont go past 5 or 10 mph...and i checked compression on all cylinders its between 140 on 5 cylinders and 145 on 1...stretched timing chain? Miles on the vehicle 220k

Did you replace the Ecm with the IAC ?

let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thats the first thing ecm and iacv . i dont have a p0505 anymore
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Im still getting p0340 and p1336

Were you getting a P0340 also before? I don't recall you saying you had a Cam Sensor code? Also where did you buy the sensors?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Go back to my first post i did say i had p0340,p1336,p1336...after a while got a p1320 ... The sensors i bought of ebay

oK.. I disregarded the codes cause of the P0505 code. That is why. .. ok.

So if the P0505 code is gone, then we need to look at the Cam and Crank Sensor codes..

Did you have a timing chain tensioner or anything replaced?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The chain tensioner and The waterpump

That explains it. Most likely the Timing chain has jumped causing those codes. You will need to take the front timing cover off and reset the timing

It is most likely 2 teeth off. Because of that, it's causing those codes and that is why it has no power also.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But i followed the procedure how did it jump time ? Okay is there a special tool? to hold the crank shaft from spinning like my audi when i did the head gasket there was a pin...and where are the timing marks?

You have to watch when changing the tension and water pump. It's very easy to jump time.

I normally disable the fuel system cause if you turn the engine over and it fires up before the chain tensioner builds pressure it jumps time

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok i see.. Well what tool do i need to remove the crank bolt ? How do i hold the crankshaft from moving when im doing the timing ? And can you send me a diagram for the timimg marks

The Crank bolt is a 27 mm. Then the balancer needs to be removed. You may need to use a puller for it.

Let me get the timing marks for you. hang on..

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just one last question how do i keep the crankshaft from moving? While in doing the timing belt? ... On my audi there was a hole where i put a pin that screwed in and it kept the crankshaft from moving ... Is there a special tool i need for this nissan ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Timing chain sorry

When you set the timing, you put the engine on Top Dead Center. Then turn the Cams manually ( slowly ) to put into position. There is nothing to lock them in place. Also make sure you pull the fuel pump fuse first then let the car run out of gas and stall. Then after you do the timing chain work, turn the engine over about 3 to 4 times to build oil pressure. Then put the fuel pump fuse in and start the car. This way you know it can't jump time on you..

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Got it great advise thanks for all your help im satisfied