Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Overcharging the battery 17v unplugged the 2 wire connector

Customer Question
at the alternator didn't change...
Overcharging the battery 17v unplugged the 2 wire connector at the alternator didn't change it no sure if these full field when unplugged or not charge
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 03 nissan maxima se 3.5
JA: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes just testing right now don't want to change parts that aren't bad
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
1/2/2017
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

just to be clear, if you unplug the 2 wires, then start the car it's still charging at 17 volts?

No need to request a call, please give me a moment to respond

Something is shorted inside the alternator. It shouldn't even begin to charge with the wires unplugged. One of the wires excites the alternator so it will begin charging. So, not only is the voltage regulator bad in it, somehow it's powering up and charging without the wire that's suppose to do that. It needs a new alternator.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please be kind and remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok that's what I was thinking just didn't know if nissian's were weird compared to other stuff

Nah, you got it. The battery light on the dash is actually connected to one of the wires out at the alternator. If that ight doesn't kick on, the alternator shouldn't even begin to charge, unplugged you should have zero.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Also, please remember to rate my answer.
Thanks so much!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician