peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.
14928985

Can the new keyless entry 4 button remote that I just bought

Customer Question

Can the new keyless entry 4 button remote that I just bought be programmed by me? I have the key that came with the car, this is just a new remote. I'm hoping I don't have to get the car to a dealership to do this as my old remote is not working. I would have to have the car towed to a dealership to get it done.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: new battery
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2001 Nissan Maxima
JA: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything yet, I just received the new remotes in the mail and I don't want the car alarm going crazy if the programming instructions I found online do not work on the new remote
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that is it.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Unfortunately on this model here the only way to program this new remote is with a dealer using their Consult II tool.The old remote is removed from programming when the new remote is programmed to your model here.I did find one manual program method you can try and see if this works.It does not work on all model remotes but does say it fits your model.If this does not work then a dealer will have to program this to your model here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ztvvbphyhzjgje9/id-12-3.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete