Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 1988 Nissan Altima that I rear ended another car

Customer Question

I have a 1988 Nissan Altima that I rear ended another car with about 2 weeks ago. We have fixed everything that needed to be fixed but the car still won't start. Battery is new. I was told there is an impact fuel shut off switch located in the front end of the car that was more than likely triggered in the accident. Where is it located and is this switch able to be reset?
Thanks
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

To clarify, your car is a 1988 Altima?

I think the first year of the Altima in the american market was 1993. Is your car a grey market import or something?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi ***** was listening to a blonde! lol You are correct. It is a 1999 Nissan Altima.
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

Ok. That makes much more sense. The 1999 altima doesn't have a collision switch that cuts off the fuel pump or starting system. The function of shutting off the fuel pump after and accident is performed by the vehicle's PCM.

So to clarify, the engine will crank but not start?

Do you have a scan tool to check for communication with the computer?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it will crank. Will start with starting fluid for a second and then it dies.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it will crank. Will start with starting fluid for a second and then it dies. We do not have a scan tool.
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

Sorry, Just Answer had you listed as off-line so I called it a night.

Can you tell if the fuel pump is running? You should be able to hear an audible buzz from the fuel pump each time the key is turned to the run position. This will last for about 3 seconds.