Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Steering shakes in idle in gear (drive) Tires balanced last

Customer Question
Steering shakes in idle in...
Steering shakes in idle in gear (drive)
JA: How often does the vibration occur, and when did you last have the tires balanced?
Customer: Tires balanced last week. Just at a red light, often
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 07 maxima
JA: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. Mechanic is fixing it. Motor mounts have been replaced, catalytic converter clean, gasket, spark plug replacement.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Service engine soon light on bc of clogged cat converter
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
11/21/2016
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago
david carrier

Hi this is david from just answers. I am here to help with your vibration problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi :)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the problem is a heavy vibration, particularly at a red light. Something I forgot to mention... I just had to have my ac recharged as well
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

It looks like you have done quite a bit of work already. Do you happen to know how many motor mounts have been replaced. Have you noticed if it vibrates more if the a/c is on or off as well and does the vibration go away as soon as you start driving?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All 4 have been in the past year. It does go away when I drive or lightly touch the gas to bring the idle up
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It isn't idling lower than its recommended. The lowest idle is 750
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

has your mechanic verified that none of the motor mounts that's have been replaced previously have failed again. A simple test to check for a motor mount that is broken is to keep your foot on the brake pedal while the car is in gear and in a safe area, and while in drive or reverse tap the gas pedal and have someone check for excessive movement. also verify there are no oil leaks around any motor mounts because the oil can deteriorate the rubber mounts.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have. I just had him look at it yesterday. Everything looked fine to him
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

Your problem you are describing is indicative of bad engine or transmission mounts particularly the mount that is in front right near the radiator. when you take off from a stop light do you feel any clucking or noise from the engine area

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No noise. It's as smooth as ever.
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

You said the engine light was on as well? do ou happen to have a list of the codes that are stored in your cars computer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My reader and the mechanics both said catalytic converter... The p0420
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok that would have nothing to do with the vibration so we will stay on track. I'm not trying to step on any bodies toes here by any means but I would recommend getting a second opinion from another automotive facility because there's honestly not much that will cause a severe vibration at idle like you describe other than a bad engine mount. Also you may have a warranty on the part if it was replaced recently.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Funny you mention second opinion bc I just left another mechanic for one. He couldn't replicate the issue, however.... Could it be a dirty maf?
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

The dirty mass air would be very unlikely because you would have issues more while driving than at idle.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess that eliminates ignition coil failure as well,huh?
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

Yes if there were ignition coil failures you would feel the misfires anytime the engine is running as well as having misfire/coil trouble codes stored in the ecm

Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

Where have you taken your vehicle to get the vehicle looked at?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My brother in law is a mechanic and I have taken it to express auto, the dealer and a mom and pop shop here recently in the past 3 months
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

Theres is a small chance that you could have a problem with the torque converter locking up when in gear but once again you would have error codes stored in the transmission control module. my professional opinion still would be that there is an issue with the front engine mount that's what it sounds like going by what you are describing with your symptoms.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well that would certainly be cheaper than tranny repair now wouldn't it :) I'll have another look :)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wouldn't an engine mount cause it to happen all the time when I stop? Because it isn't happening everytime
Nissan Mechanic: david carrier,
 replied 1 year ago

if the mount is broken completely yes it would do it all the time. they key to getting the problem fixed is to be able to duplicate it when it is in the repairshop.

david carrier
david carrier
david carrier