Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 2001 pathfinder 4WD. I recently was developed a

I have a 2001 pathfinder 4WD. I recently was developed a problem where the truck would stall out. This was happening after driving for 30-40 minutes. It was happening while cruising / no gas applied. I scanned the ecm and found a few codes relating to the iAC circuit. After removing the t-body and IAC valve, I found coolant was leaking past the gasket and into the valve. I replaced the IAC and did the idle relearn. My problem is now I am having very hard staring. It will stumble and stall several times before I can get it to run. Also having some lack of power issues while under heavy acceleration.

Hi Im David, you need to replace the throttle body also. you should have done both at the same time. its always recommended when theres a coolant breach.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What is the reason that it needs to be replaced? Will the TPS need to be replaced as well?

put a scan tool on it that reads live data and watch the response of the throttle as you go up and down in rpms. do this at idle and while driving. my feeling is either the throttle plate is binding up or the tps is not working correctly. thats the resaon i suspect it. but with out being there able to do these tests myself, i can only suggest this.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What numbers am I looking for with the throttle response?
Also why replace the throttle body? I thought it just housed the components. It's not throttle by wire.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also before the stalling issue and code p0505 the truck idled perfectly

no it just doesnt house the components. it lets metered air into the intake based on inputs from other sensors.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Why are you suggesting replacing it?

because ive seen this problem a thousand times, thats why......dont take my advice. i will opt out and let someone else chime in.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If you had a P0505 code, the IAC and the Ecm will both need to be replaced at the same time to resolve your issue. Other wise you can continue to have issues. If you replace the IAC and not the Ecm, the Ecm will then damage the new IAC so if you leave that IAC in there and replace the Ecm later, that damaged IAC will then damage the ECM. That is why both need to be done at the same time.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I know it is always optimal to replace with new part, but are there any reman or used parts to replace the ECU with? Also will it need to be reflashed or programmed in any way?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the thorough reply.

They not longer have these Ecm's available. So you would need to try to find a used one I am afraid and replace the IAC again.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay, thanks. Will any kind of reprogramming or flashing of the replacement unit be necassary?

After replacing the Ecm, all keys will need to be reprogrammed and a Idle Relearn will need to be performed to verify repair.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Could you provide the procedures for doing both of those things?

With this issue, the keys are programmed using a scanner. You also want to perform the Idle Relearn with a scanner as well.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Does the TPS need to be replaced also?

No, It does not need to be replaced.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will do. Can I request your help for a 97 maxima that is having stalking issues? Someone has moved the adj screw, and now I can get it correct, and to stop stalling after it is warmed up

Sure you can request me for your 97 Maxima question.

Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience: 20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Could you please tell me how to remove the ECM?

Sorry I missed you last night. I will be online later this evening to help you ..ok

The Ecm is located under the drivers side of the dash. You will need to remove the lower drivers side dash cover to access the Ecm so it can be removed.