Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE with dual climate control is not

working properly on driver side...
2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE with dual climate control is not working properly on driver side only. Temperature is way hot or way cold. Seem to only cool off when setting the temperature to 65 or 60 degrees. Passenger side seems to work fine.
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: I have not checked but there is no evidence of leakage on my driveway. I did just get the car back from the body shop where they replaced the entire roof panel. I don't know it this would have anything to do with it though. Just started using the heater recently though. This car has rear heating and cooling system as well.
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am going to fix it myself. I haven't tried anything yet. I am just starting to look into it and was doing some internet searches to see if there were any common problems.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
11/13/2016
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

From what you have described here this sounds like an internal fault with the drivers side temp actuator/air mix actuator motor.This is located on the top of heater box towards the center of the heater box as shown below.This actuator/motor can fail and causes the temp issues you see on the drivers side with it needing replaced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ahqb32f6o4ci0t/ai-11-13.gif?dl=0

Unfortunately this is a large process as the dash has to be removed and the heater box assembly has to be removed to replace it.

Removal and Installation

FRONT AIR MIX DOOR MOTOR (DRIVER)

Removal
1. Remove the front heater and cooling unit assembly. Refer to "FRONT HEATER AND COOLING UNIT ASSEMBLY" .
2. Remove the steering member from the front heater and cooling unit assembly.
3. Disconnect the air mix door motor electrical connector.
4. Remove the three screws and remove the air mix door motor.

Installation
Installation is in the reverse order of removal.

Labor is 4.6 hours to have replaced.

There is a technical service bulletin out on the drivers side temp not adjusting.The correction is to install a washer seal between the motor and heater box assembly and replace the air mix motor.The bulletin number is:

Classification: HA06-003

Reference: NTB07~001

This may be what is needed here to correct this fault.Below is the complete info on this.

2005-2006 PATHFINDER; DRIVER'S SIDE TEMPERATURE WILL NOT ADJUST

APPLIED VEHICLE(S):
2005 - 2006 Pathfinder (R51) With Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) Only

IF YOU CONFIRM

Driver side temperature cannot be adjusted, and the driver side air mix door motor (actuator) is no longer functioning.

ACTION(S)

^ Install a washer seal between the motor and the Front Heater and Cooling Unit Assembly (HVAC Unit).

^ Replace the driver side air mix door motor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jw0urxeyg5dthdh/m-11-13.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bafg87qjpihktst/m0-11-13.gif?dl=0

1. Remove the driver side air mix door motor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3rny35trdi69ixx/mot-11-13.gif?dl=0

2. Install the washer seal onto the air mix door shaft as shown in Figure 2A.

IMPORTANT:
When installed, the washer will become curved. Pull down on the edges so it forms a bell shape as shown in Figure 2A. DO NOT leave the washer in a cup shape as shown in Figure 2B.

3. Install a new driver's side air mix door motor. Installation is reverse order of removal.

4. Confirm driver side air mix door motor is operating.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician