Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2001 pathfinder wont rev up and misfire all time, 189K is

Customer Question
2001 pathfinder wont rev up...
2001 pathfinder wont rev up and misfire all time
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?
Customer: 189K is steady. replaced all cam, crank sensors, replaced variable timming solenoid valve on bank 2. showing codes with P0340cam shaft sensofr on bank 1 which I already replaced with a new one and P1111 intake valve timing circuit bank one and the P1131 swirl control valve
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, I replaced all cam shaft sensors, replaced high voltage coils, the crank shaft damper was replaced with a new,and the bank 2 variable timming solenoid with a new one. still doing the same. wont rev up and misfire
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was told this could be a major issue with the mecahincs on the variable timming. it is woth to fix this car?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/8/2016
Nissan Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Im David, why would you replace all of those parts without verifying that they were faulty?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Due to codes sent to computer. And other mechanics worked on try to fix. So what is next? Can it be fixed or not

do a compression test on the engine. thats the very first thing that should have been done. then if thats good, set the engine to tdc and check the timing marks.

sounds like it jumped time. if it did, not worth fixing, because it probably bent valves.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The engine starts .but runs rough. when I disconnect the cam shaft sensor it runs very smooth on bank 2. When I reconnect it it turns off. The compression is 120 psi on average on all cylinders and the trimming marks are on place. The issue is with
The variable timing are staying open some times.

nevermind, saw you replaced vct solenoid

what is the condition of the oil?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I put sea foam to clean run it for 15 minutes and will put new oil. Like I said whe I disconnect cam shaft sensor it runs smooth. But won't start again for a while. I have to reconnect it to be able to start emgine

clean oil is essential for these vvt engines. everything in the timing system works off of oil pressure. go ahead and do the oil change and let me know if there is an immprovement. then we can talk about the sensor issue

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks

you bet

any update?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm checking timing marks right now. Taking apart front of engine . I will update you soon in my findings. Found front damper pulley loose. May be was out of Location .

very possible. keep me updated please. thanks

any news?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well found front damper pulley stripped threads and may be just may he this pulley was on the right place. I'm re-threading to 5/8 coarse thread. Almost done . Tomorrow pull cover to check ticking marks. If this pulley which have three notches is off position that could cause this misfire? I bought this from a customer had changed a lot of parts and the auto mechanic insisted the problem was with the time chains. He never mentioned . They messed up the front crank shaft bolt. In real and very unprofessional

absolutley could cause the misfire. see they did nice work,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
While I'm checking the time marks what other test/checks I can do to those special oil pressure cams for intake. I saw in YouTube those are supposed to float" with oil pressure? Any other suggestions to check while I'm in there. Let me know.

theres no other checks once the cover is off, just make sure at tdc that everything is spot on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, found main chain sprocket damage where key fits and allowing about 1/8" of movement. The half moon also damaged and sprocket moving as well. Found damper pulley without a holding bolt due to the stupid before damage the threads. Open cover and per diagram chain waif by three thooths. Also intake and exhaust timingarks do not match. Original chain from factory with only orange mark. While trouble shooting didn't notice key way fell and crank motor. Never locked up. Put Key back and run a test with compression gage. Getting 199 psi on cylinder 1. Any ways need a good diagram for notches and Timmons marks. I just saw the ones on the intake stocked. I cannot find any on the exhaust or any painted links. So I need change timing chain and main crank shaft sprocket. After I spend money on other crap due to this bad repair. I got lucky with the stripped threads and repair them. Can you helped with a good diagram on the Timing marks. Let me know. Again all the YouTube markings and notches are not on this truck. I can give you the vin number if you need it.

before we do anything else. check compression on ALL cylinders

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't took chain off I have not cranked emgine. I need to put chain bank but my diagram calls for painted markings and the original only have the orange marking on it

i dont want you to do all this work and have bent valves. 3 teeth will bend valves

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you know how many links between marks? And the sprockets need to point up correct. There are some markings on the cover which I do not see?

let me get you the set up

1. Position crankshaft so that No. 1 piston is set at TDC on compression stroke.

2. Install crankshaft sprocket on crankshaft.

-

Make sure that mating marks on crankshaft sprocket face front of engine.

3. Install lower chain guide on dowel pin, with front mark on the guide facing upside.

4. Press and shrink the secondary chain tensioner sleeve, and fix it using stopper pins.

-

Lubricate threads and seat surfaces of camshaft sprocket bolts with new engine oil

5. Install secondary timing chain and sprocket to one of the banks (Right bank shown in the figure) as described below.

a. Align mating marks (golden links) on secondary timing chain with those (punched marks) on the intake and exhaust sprockets.
b. Align camshaft knock pins with the sprocket groove and hole.

-

Because camshaft sprocket mounting bolts are tightened in step 7, perform manual tightening to the extent necessary to keep camshaft
knock pin from dislocating.

-

Matching marks of the intake sprocket are on the back side of the secondary sprockets. There are two types of the marks; round and oval
types, which should be used for right and left banks respectively.
Right bank: Round
Left bank: Oval

-

It may be difficult to visually check the dislocation of mating marks during and after installation. To make the matching easier, make a
mating mark on the sprocket teeth in advance using paint.

6. Install secondary timing chain and sprocket to the other bank. Install primary timing chain at the same time.

-

Installation of the secondary timing chain follows the procedure described in step 5.

-

Install primary timing chain so that mating mark (punched) on camshaft sprocket is aligned with that (dark blue link) on the timing chain, and
mating mark (notched) on crankshaft sprocket is aligned with that on the timing chain, respectively.

-

When it is difficult to align mating marks of the primary timing chain with each sprocket, gradually turn the camshaft hexagonal head using a
spanner so it is aligned with the mating mark.

-

During alignment, be careful to prevent dislocation of mating marks on the secondary timing chain.

7. After confirming the mating marks are aligned, tighten the camshaft sprocket mounting bolts.

-

Secure the camshaft hexagonal head using a spanner to tighten mounting bolts.

8. Pull out the stopper pin from the secondary timing chain tensioner.

checking in to see how its going

hello?????

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's going slow I cannot find secondary gears markings. I fpund markings on front gears .

secondary gear markings are the dashes or dots on the gears fronr. and a dash or circle on the back of them

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just see two dot indententions at 180 degrees apart. I don't see the dashes

send me a pic

im going to send you the whole procedure.......

3.5 engine?

http://workshop-manuals.com/nissan/pathfinder_se_2wd/v6-3.5l_(vq35)/engine_cooling_and_exhaust/engine/timing_components/timing_chain/component_information/diagrams/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
3.5 engine. Let me check what you just send me. Thanks.

it will walk you through the whole procedure my friend.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In case I need to pull the engine where are the lift points. I don't see ears on the engine like other engines already have. What Nissan manual calls for? Can you send me this information. Thanks

pull the engine for what?

Sorry for delay to respond back. Got emergency on my family and put truck. On hold
Finally got it
Running. While
Testing I stop
To buy
Food and will
Not start
Again. Checked all fuses and thought I had a bad fuel pump I put direct power and will
Not
Start. I put starting fluid and nothing. Check for voltage on coils
Nothing check
For spark
And nothing. Any
Ideas what to check?
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 11 months ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you still require help with this issue? I noticed that the original expert has opt'd out on helping you.

Let me know..

Below is what happens after replaced engine.
Finally got it
Running. While
Testing I stop
To buy
Food and will when try to start just tried to start but no luck. I have check everything .
From fuses to fuel pump. Last check find out no spark on coil#1 and left key on and no power to coils.Not start
Not
Nothing check
For spark
And nothing. Any
Ideas what to check?

This particular question looks like it maybe easier to answer if I spoke with you. Would that be something you may be interested in?

No I need to look why no sparks on could?

When you did the timing chain work, did you disable the fuel system and turn the engine over to build oil pressure first? Failure to do so could result in the engine jumping time.

Let me know..

No the previous engine was. Damaged no timing chain replaced. I bought a used one and just put it on. I been running the
Car on and off this past week. Last night again went to buy food and after I stop won't start again.
I'm not getting high voltage no
Spark. I have fuel.
Are
We going in circles to accumulate more time or texts? I'm asking what is the causes of no high voltage to
Spark plugs. Is that
Simple enough?

What year did this new engine come out of?

Hey send me to another tech or give me complain departments. You are asking very silly questions

Asking what year the used engine you got came out of is a silly question? There are difference with years which could be why you are having problems! So that doesn't sound like a silly question

I will just opt out like the other expert and put you in for a refund since you don't seem to want to work with me on this issue.

Thanks Jay!

Replaced engine with same year and Vin digits with 177k miles on it. Car was running fine until a day ago. After I stop at a store it won't start. I check oil and fluids. Waited about 1/2 hour and started again. Went to gas station and after put gas it won't start again. Pulled over and went next day and check for gas. Check fuel pump. Check fuel regulators to be bad. They are ok. After all work found no spark
On coils. Here is how it happen. While at Autozone ECU shows code P340 on bank one for a bad cam sensor. Since I had a new set I replaced and won't start. It appears the computers is in safety mode. With the old engine was doing same. After I left if off for a week it will start again. Same thing after I left it cool off it starts. I'm going to towed to my house to troubleshoot more. But right now does not have sparks to start it. Help is appreciated or ideas what to look for. Check all fuses and found one blown for the cigarette lighter. All ignition fuses are good. Switched relays for fuel pump just in case one was acting up.
Nissan Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago

ok, im back.....so, you have it running. but when you go somewhere and come back out to start it, it wouldnt start til it cools down correct?

yesterday I went back and started. I took it to autozone and shows three codes. P340 shows twice for bank 1 cam shaft sensor. Replaced it and this time won't start. The other two are
Not ignition related. When I replaced engine and ran fine. The engine light never came on.

what are the other codes?

Let me look and sent it back.

ok

Also for what I gather here are more fact finding issues. The key is not the original key. It shows Ma TK40 and for brand is KL from
Italy? Also found an alarm horn disconnected In the engine compartment? It seems the ECU is going into safety mode. If you
Ok , now I need to tell you what I did at autozone. After is shows the cam sensor bad. I unplugged it and started ok. Turned off and then disconnected the other two on bank two. For the cam sensor on intake and exhaust. I tried to start and of course won't start. I reconnected everything back. And was when did not started again. Did I caused more issues by checking or doing this?

this is way to confusing and you are getting yourself in way to deep. i cant help you any longer. you are all over the place and i cant even understand your logic here. good luck. maybe someone else can help..........

why you answer . You guys get
Paid to help or criticize our actions. I try to fix my car and you guys just
Play
The game of what is this and what color the engine was. I will fix it without your help
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician