Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2000 maxima won't start

Customer Question
2000 maxima won't start...
2000 maxima won't start
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Rpms goes up to 2k while cranking, no spark on cyl #1 and #4 spark plugs get soak on gas
11/5/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd say its likely that there's a fault with the distributor cap or the leads to cyls 1 & 4

So I'd begin by removing the distributor cap and check inside for cracks and track damage

also check the condition of the rotor arm for cracks and burned contacts, there should also be a little carbon brush in the cap that pushes onto the rotor arm

Check the resistance of the spark plug leads ( 13-15Kohm / metre) and replace if any doubt or high resistance - Also replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Has coils

OK

thanks for letting me know as 2000 was the transition year from a dizzy to coils

in that case I'd next try spraying some water on the coil packs 1 at a time with the engine running. It is possible the coil is faulty and causing the misfire. If you see sparks arcing with the water, then replace the coil.

Also have you tried doing a compression test across all cylinders?

as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok were not on the same channel, first the car won't even start or running.

OK

as you have no spark then check that there's power to the coil pack (at the other end of the plug lead) using a meter. If there’s 12V at the pack with the ignition on but no spark then check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll check that and I'll get back to you Monday.

understood

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can we try to resolve this car tomorrow?

no problem

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would like to start checking the signal on the camshaft sensor and the two crankshaft sensors, you got some diagrams for the wires to check

sorry I don't have that information

I'll opt out to open this up to others

good luck

Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you know if you have any codes stored? Also when you turn the key to the ON position, is the Security light on solid?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No codes at the moment, the security light flashing with egnition off when I turn the key into ON position the light goes OFF

Does the engine turn over but not start? or it doesn't even turn over?

Did you change the battery recently?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Turn over won't start, we unplug the battery after the problem just to avoid not to drain it

I saw you said that you have spark plugs getting soaked with fuel. Did you get gas recently?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, the spark plugs get soak on fuel after couple cranks

That could be due to bad gas. Has the car been sitting for a while?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
3 month after just after the problem start.
Theres no spark on cyl 1 and 4 though

Do you have any codes? Did you happen to have a P0505 code before all this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No codes alt all

Do you happen to have a noid light to check injector pulse?

are you a shop?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
im a mechanic

Do you have a noid light to check to see if you are getting injector pulse or a constant signal for the injector to stay open?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
give me a min

ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I check the 3 fronts that I have access to it, it only light up 1 time and goes off when I keed cranking

This sounds like a Ecm issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I unplug the tha camshaft sensor and the noid light flashing while crank but still wont start
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My customer bring me another ECM and we call the locksmith to program a turkey and it still won't start but I never checked the symptoms with that ecm so I put the older ecm back and programmed the key again. Ps the other ecm we try was used same serial numbers though

The cam sensor you unplugged, that is the one on the top part of the front timing cover right?

When you unplug that and you get injector pulse, that is a sign that the engine jumped time

So that would explain why it's loading up and why you don't have spark or injector pulse. You are going to need to check the mechanical timing. If more than 2 teeth off, you could have valve damage.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replace the timing chain before bc it was my first diagnostic bt nothing i redue 2 times more and still same, unless I have a wrong diagram

Did you disable the fuel system after you did the timing chain work? The reason I am asking is cause if you do timing chain work, and don't, when you go to start it, the chain tensioner is not primed yet and it can jump time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No i just do the timing never disable the fuel system, so im going to remove the timing cover again to check timing, so if u can send me the diagram will b better so i can make sure Im on the same page
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Anyway to reload the timing tensioner before crank?

You disable the fuel system and turn the engine over like you were trying to start it. but it won't start cause the fuel is disabled. By doing this your allowing the tensioner to build oil pressure

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
U have any imagen for the timing marks?

I can give that to you later when I get home if you can wait?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is fine

Ok. I will share it with you later then.

Talk to you then

That is the timing mark locations

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thats how I set up the timing the last 3 times bt I will check it out tomorrow again thanks

ok.. Talk to you tomorrow.

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician