Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Have 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. Earlier this year vehicle would

Have 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. Earlier this year vehicle would not hold idle and would stall. Mechanic replaced IACV. 3 months later vehicle started to do the same and while I was deciding what to do the vehicle would turn over, but would not start. Mechanic said the ECM was fried. Replaced ECM with used ECM. Then had Nissan dealership install and reprogram the used ECM. Now this week the vehicle stopped running while I was driving. There was a smell of electrical funes and a small amount smoke from under the dash. Multiple check engine lights. Should I take it back to my mechanic or straight to the dealership?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: The lights stay on. The engine does turn over.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2001 Nissan PATHFINDER
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The last fix required the dealer to reprogram the ECM...so I'm looking for my mechanic or the dealership to do the work.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've read that the IACV has to be replaced and a idle relearn needs to be completed if you replace the ECM. T/F? Does the ECM need to be replaced if you replace the IACV?

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Did you have a P0505 code and that is why the IAC was replace?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's what the mechanic told me during my first visit.

When ever you get a P0505 code, you need to replace the Ecm and the IAC at the same time other wise you will never resolve the problem. So I am afraid at this point, the IAC will most likely need to be replaced again along with the Ecm to resolve your issue.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay, but you have not told me why? What is it that requires both to be replaced when you get a P0505 code?

When you get the P0505 code, that is due to the internal winding's internally shorting in the IAC. When this happens it causes a direct short to ground. Since this is a Ecm controlled circuit it damages the Ecm internally. So if you replace the IAC and not the Ecm, since the Ecm control circuit is damaged, it damages the new IAC. So the only way to resolve the issue is to replace the IAC and Ecm together.