Cary York
Cary York,
Experience:  Auto Tech at Certified Auto Repair
94946450

It is showing at check when first crank then it goes out &

Customer Question

It is showing at check when first crank then it goes out & it has no driving power. But we just replaced the massive air flow sensor
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: At check is what is showing????
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2003 Nissan maxima
JA: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It lost power the other day & my husband replaced the massive air flow sensor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It also has a rattle under the bottom . Could that be the catalyst converter?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Cary York replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

Does the vehicle loss power or does it shut off? Or both?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just loss of power

Was the MAF sensor replaced because of a check engine light and to try and correct this problem?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It is possible that the cat conv is clogged. The best way to test that is to remove the exhaust pipe from the manifold so the exhaust gases can escape. Drive it and see if that helps. Does it lose power at higher seeds and rpm?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The rpm will no go past 2 ...

Sounds like clogged exhaust for sure. Sometimes a clogged exhaust or other drivability problems will cause a MAF sensor code. Are you going to fix it yourself?

Remember if you rate me we can still continue the discussion. Five star please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What is good for cleaning the exhaust?

There is no cleaning it. You would have to replace the Catalyst Convertor. Muffler shop.