Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 2011 Nissan Rogue that is having issues starting,

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Nissan Rogue that is having issues starting , this morning I we to start it and could not initially get it started . I noticed that the vehicle immobilizer indicator was blinking when I got into the car and it doesn't normally do this . I eventually got the car started . Later when I left work I had the same problem but got the car started , however now it seems the car won't start at all
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: I haven't checked them , but I don't think it's the battery because everything else works
JA: Are you fixing your Rogue yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried to much except what is in the manual for how to start your car when it is giving you issues
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess when I try to start the car it makes a clicking noise that contuin s fo a few seconds even after I have stopped
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you get a rapid clicking noise when you try to start it or a single click? Do you hear anything when you try to start it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's a rapid clicking noise , I don't hear anything else
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. That is a sign of a weak battery. The Starter is the biggest draw on the battery where all the other electronics can work perfectly.

Do you have someone to help you jump start the car?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the immobilizer indicator means nothing ?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

That is normal, believe it or not. You probably just never noticed it cause you jump in and start it normally. If you had a immobilizer issue, the engine would turn over but not start. Also when you turn the ignition to the ON position, the security light would be ON SOLID.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

The Immobilizer system if active kills injector pulse only. So the engine would turn over but not start cause the injectors would not give fuel to the engine.

Rapid clicking is a sign of a weak battery. Batteries tend to last 3 to 4 years. A single click would be a sign of a starter.

So if you can get someone to jump start you, I am sure the car will start. You may just be due for a battery if it's the original one.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If I get it jump started will the battery last for a little longer if it is a weak battery or do I need to replace the battery immediately
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

If the battery is at the point it won't hold a charge and you have to start jump starting it, you are going to want to make arrangements to change it so you won't get stuck again.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just looked at my service records and the battery was actually repalced in March , could a weak battery still be the problem
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Was it replaced at the dealer?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it was . I purchased the car from the dealer In march and checked the service record for what they did before I receive the car and that was one of the things that they did. I also just want to the car and noticed that there was an weird egg smell in the car , could I have done something to it while trying to start it
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

If the battery was changed at the dealer, you have a 1 year warranty on the battery. Another thing you may need to have checked if it's not the battery is a electrical draw. A electrical draw is something that would stay on to drain the battery.

The Egg smell you get from a loaded up Catt Converter with un-burned fuel. Meaning from trying to start it. That un-burned fuel when it finally does start can eventually cause the catalytic converter to prematurely fail. So you don't want to keep trying.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If I shouldn't keep trying should I still try to boost it
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

You will have to start it eventually. I would let it sit and dry out first for like 1/2 hour or so, then jump start it.