Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Stuck with keyless entry not starting my Nissan cube, 2009.

Customer Question
Holding key near start button...
Stuck with keyless entry not starting my Nissan cube, 2009. Holding key near start button is not working..in a bad area..help!
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: It works for opening the doors, but it may be weak as for about a week, the key light had been on the dash.
JA: Are you fixing your Cube yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing, ad this just happened. Again, only tried to take key out I d try he fob a Nd hold it I n front of button so the chip could be read.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, just need to be quick. Hi f I have to set out on foot in this city x it's not safe.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
10/26/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

hey there I can help!

when you attempt to start it, does it go to ACC mode instead of trying to crank the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is ACC mode??? I now think it's a weak battery from the cold snap.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fob opens the door, but car won't start .it was OK this am

its accessory mode where you can listed to radio etc.

if you look at your actual start button, it has acc / on / lock

if you can push the start button and it goes to ACC or ON then that means the KEY IS DETECTED! that's why i need to know this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No,, it just stays dark, does not light up.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Once it twice, it lit many minutes after I put key near it...but now, no.

do you have the FOB slot by the drivers knee? its an 09 it should have it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it on steering column, or on the dash? I think Nissan said I didn't have it..but I'll look.

the dash literally by the drivers knee

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Then no, I don't think I have it

gotcha, the juke and the cube are always the odd balls of all the models on the FOB slots, which in that case placing it on the button should have sufficed to detect the key.

can you turn the headlights on for me and see if they work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They do

excellent, now take your key fob and put it on the start button and press it while pushing the brake pedal. Let me know if a yellow key light pops on the dash.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
did so 2x

yellow light was a yes?

ok, take your hand and smack the bottom of the steering column 1 time and then try it again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cellphone battery going well have to be fast. Yes, yellow light comes on again after hitting column.

crap! that yellow light is coming on because the electronic steering lock is not engaged. So it's not letting you start the car. There is a trick to get it started by tapping it with a screwdriver or ratchet extension and getting it to start

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you mean because the steering can be moved..I not locked..I can't turn ignition on?

but ones you get it started you don't want to turn the vehicle back off until you have it somewhere where it can be repaired. The quite using the electronic steering locks after 09 because of the issues it caused and issued an unlimited mileage/10 year warranty on it if it fails because of it.

correct! DO YOU HAVE ANY TOOLS WITH YOU?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tap what? The underside of the column???

The electronic steering lock module. It's mounted on teh bottom of the steering column in an aluminum casing. but its behind the column cover. I was hoping you would get lucky tapping the column cover with it still on!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Give me the simple directions and I'll try it. Where to tap...and, should my steering wheel be locked??
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I tap it correctly..how will I know when it works??

yes, it should be locked

the steering wheel should lock AND you will be able to start the vehicle by pressing the brake and start button

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, just now I held fob to button..the orange light came on held brake Dow, car still won't start. Are you sure it can't be that there is enough juice for faint headlights but not enough to turn over the ignition??
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now I can't get orange light

no orange light is good, is the steering wheel locked?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. But I don't remember it usually being locked.

push the brake and try to start it.

and yes it should normally be locked, but your ESL is not operating properly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I meant the button didn't light up orange . I do get the dashboard orange key sign.

yes, steering lock issue.

you only have 2 choices right now. either work on it with some tools or tow it at this point. The car will not start till you get it correct or can at least access it to get a temporary fix.

if you need further assistance let me know, if not please be sure to leave a kind rating. thanks

Jake
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician