Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I was trying to find the average cost to replace the

Customer Question

I was trying to find the average cost to replace the catalytic converter on my 2003 xterra
JA: Have the O2 sensors been scanned?
Customer: no I have the Service Engine Soon light on. I went to Midas and they said that code read for a bad CC. Should I get teh O2 sensor checked, first?
JA: Are you fixing your Xterra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I am not fixing it my self. All I have done is take it to Midas to read the SES code. They said the code said I need the Catalytic Converter changed. But, should I get the 02 sensor checked first?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Hmm...I think that's it. I have an inspection coming up in Nov, so need to do it soon.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 11 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Do you happen to have the actual "p-code" that pointed towards a failing converter?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
unfortunately, no.
How do I obtain that code?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 11 months ago.

Usually the p-code is put on the paperwork from Midas. If not, you can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). I was asking for the p-code, because with this, I can better determine if the converter is the actual problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hmm. Good point. I wil be able to ge the P-Code in about an hour. Can I send it to you then?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 11 months ago.

Absolutely! Just reply back to this thread like you have been... and we can pick it right back up from here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sounds good. Thank you, Ron.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome. Talk to you soon!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if how you made out? Just a reminder that this thread is still here if you still need my help! Feel free to ask!