Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 2012 Nissan Versa - It has lost power (slow to

I have a 2012 Nissan Versa - It has lost power (slow to accelerate). A mechanic friend of mine said his diagnostic tool said it was the speed sensor. He's not so sure that it is. (he has an older diagnostic tool). I could not get it to go very fast (about 60mph). It jerks a bit when it is put into gear. The engine light did come on.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He was going to put a speed sensor on it - but didn't want me to be out $200 bucks for the part if it didn't fix the problem.
Hey there, thanks for the question.Are there any fault codes?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor A
P0890 - TCM Power Relay Sense Circuit Low

Hey there, sorry for the delay.

You need to check the fuses for the TCM. Primarily this fuse in the IPDM.

The reason being is the P0890 is a power supply issue to the TCM. Indicating its recieving low voltage or no voltage. This would cause the other codes to come up because of it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Replaced that fuse (which appeared to be bad) - still doing same thing.

Thats almost impossible to believe that it made no difference if the fuse was blown, unless the TCM was bad.

disconnect the battery and rest the computer and see if your problem is gone.

If the fuse was blown then the P0500 was likely a result of the TCM power issue, so i would not replace the sensor yet.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here are photos of the removed TCM fuse. I tried to reset the computer but engine light is still on. I will have to get another diagnostic on it to see if the error code for the TCM is still there.

from the pic looks like the fuse is burnt up and the lower right side of it is not visible which is a good indication that it's blown.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I used a cheap code reader that I bought. Here is the reading.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here's all I got
If that code remains even after replacing the fuse check to see if the fuse blew again
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The one you told me to replace looks okay. I looked at the other fuses and they all looked like the original one I replaced.
Still no change.

yea, if the fuse is blown, then the filament you see inside the red part is generally broken. meaning it has a burn through.

do you have a voltmeter by chance? can we do some tests?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The fuses I took pictures of were of other 10 amp fuses I replaced (not just the one you told me to check) I'll have to borrow voltmeter and I'll get back with you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I found an old volt tester and tested the fuses. The one I replaced I put back in and it was working as well. So apparent a fuse was not blown.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My wife had just filled up with gas a bit before the vehicle started acting this way. Is there any way getting bad gas could set off these events?

bad gas can cause weird things, but WILL NOT cause these codes.

If you have the volt tester, then lets test the wires running to the TCM.

With key to ON position you should have battery voltage at all three wires. One is light green and the other 2 red.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just replaced the TCM with a used one - looks like there was corrosion where the wire plug went into the TCM - perhaps that's all it was - anyways the vehicle works as it should now.
Thanks for the follow up!Thanks.