Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

My son bought a used 1998 Nissan Pathfinder. The car had

Hi, my son bought a...
Hi, my son bought a used 1998 Nissan Pathfinder. The car had been given up for auction before, so we don't know the history but I have a hunch. Wile the car is driving the engine stops running once in a while like usually two times in a row and then she will continue running resarted by the momentum of the car (not good). Sometimes she also has a poor idle. I have replaced the distributor and she ran fine during the test drive, but then the hick-ups started again. I tested the MAS sensor and that one checked out fine. The car has new spark plug cables, a new throttle body a new vacuum actuator for the EGR valve, which checked out fine also by the way. So I suspect that peopl have been looking for this problem before, threw their arms up and bought a new car and traded this one in. She also initially ran on five legs, because the #2 spark plug cap was not seated properly. That triggered all kinds of codes in the ECM. The only code I have now, after changing the distributor is P0300 = Random multiple misfires but the check engine light does not come on anymore. Any idea what I can look into next? I hate to test by throwing parts at the car.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: The light is not on, but when it was on, it was steady
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am fixing my sons Pathfinder myself he is a seventeen year old and has not much money. everything I tried I have put down in the introduction. MAS sensor tested fine distributor I changed so with it the ignition coil, camshaft sensor rotor and cap. EGR valve checked out fine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
10/16/2016
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

What brand spark plugs are in this engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Jay that would be NGK.

Are you still getting the P0300 code? What exactly is the truck doing now? Still stalling?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got the P0300 code this morning when I hooked up the scanner.

When I see that code, the first thing I go after is spark plugs and distributor. I know you have changed both, but if the distributor is from your local auto parts store, I have seen them not work like this and have you chasing your tail. Did you get the distributor after market?

Does it run ruff all the time?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I agree with your view and yes I got the distributor after market. The car runs like a champ, the engine purrs like a kitten. Sometimes though she has those hiccups cold or warm engine does not make a difference. With changing the distributor she runs way better than before. But then yeah, as I said, once in a while. And. . . my kid just got his drivers licence so if he stall at a traffic light that is a big deal for him.

I agree, the truck stalling is not a good thing. The Distributor is still something I would go after since it's after market. These vehicles don't like after market electrical parts. They can certainly cause what you are experiencing. The fact changing the distributor did make a improvement, does verify it did have a distributor issue. So I would look to replace it with a OEM one from the dealer. Then go from there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, I will give that a shot. Thanks.

That fact you still get the P0300, that is another reason I would continue to go after it.

Spark plugs would cause misfire codes if they were not NGK, but they are. Plus they would not cause stalling where the distributor can. So yeah.. Give that a shot. I am confident that would resolve your issue.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was afraid that the distributor would be your answer. I only changed it about a week ago. Thanks you for your assistance, no more questions. Have good afternoon.

You too and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician