Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Fuel pump not coming on, Tested and it runs out of tank but

Customer Question
Fuel pump not coming on JA...
Fuel pump not coming on
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: Tested and it runs out of tank but not in tank. Fuse is good
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 05 altima
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Crank sensors, cam sensors and pump test
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't locate fuel pump relay
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
10/15/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Which engine do you have in this?
Do you have a test light or volt meter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have volt meter. It's a 3.5l

Ok, I am sending you a diagram of the fuel pump relay. It's located in the IPDM, the large fuse and relay center under the hood. If it's possible, check and see if you can feel it click while someone else cranks the engine.

Please try this and let me know. If you aren't cranking the engine you will only get power there for about 2 seconds.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didn't get diagram

Do you not see the link that says capture.PNG at the end of it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Everything you suggested, I have already tried. I need for relay location

HERE is the diagram

I am really not sure why you can't see the diagram, but I didn't really suggest anything that didn't include the relay, so honestly, I am not sure HOW you tried what I suggested if you don't know where the relay is?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok,I see it. What else could my problem be if it's not the relay?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is power on fuse #50. What's next

When you crank the engine, is the security light on solid or flashing? This should be up by the defrost grid on the dashboard driver side I believe or in the instrument cluster.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Neither

Ok, again someone has to be cranking the engine when you do this next test.

You have to check the power wire for the fuel pump coming out of the IPDM.

This is a black/yellow stripped wire coming out of the terminal.

I am sending you another diagram of the IPDM and highlighted the wire # for you to check. The connector will be located right where it shows the arrow coming out of the diagram.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It shows only 1 volt
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should it be more??

Yes, it should be 12 or battery voltage. This means the ECM is not turning on the fuel pump relay.

check the black/orange stripped wire on #40. It should have battery voltage until you turn the key on, to run or start, then the voltage should go away. If the voltage doesn't drop the ecm is no good. if the voltage does drop, then the relay is no good and you will have to replace the IPDM

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has power only when key is turned on. Then it drops when attempting to start. What that mean???.

If the power drops when you turn the key on, it means the relay is bad.

With these you can't just service the relay, you have to replace the whole IPDM

It's plug and play, doesn't require any programming or anything. But it does mean the signal is going to the relay from the ECM, so the computer is good, fuse box isn't.

You could try swapping it with the fog light relay and see if it resolves it, but again it's not made to just change the relay so it may not work.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Do you need further assistance with this?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician