Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

My Nissan Xtrail has the engine service check light on and

My Nissan Xtrail has the engine service check light on and diagnosis shows that the intake valve timing sensor has a problem. How do I fix this and what are the likely effects if this is not fixed on time
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It stays on
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2001
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I usually engage a qualified mechanic to service it. We have tried to clear the light but it comes up again after some km of driving. We have not yet replaced it because we are struggling to get a new one this side
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: How best can I clear the light as I wait to get the replacement part? Also what are the risk factors of using the vehicle when the light is on

Hey there, thanks for the question.

There are actually a few possibilities for an IVT code, the fist being a low oil level.

If the oil level is good, then it could be an issue with a cam sensor or the IVT solenoid itself.

Lastly, and worst case scenario there is sludge build up at the sprocket effecting the IVT operation. This requires pulling the front cover off and cleaning it and the passages.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks you so much. Let me try to get my mechanic to look at the possibilities? But whats the danger of driving the vehicle with the light on

Not alot of danger, but if the IVT is effected bad enough it could prevent timing advance so it would feel like a loss of power. Would not hurt anything though.