Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Ok i have a 99 nissan sentra 4cyl 1.6 engine. I cant get my

Customer Question
car to start after the...
Ok i have a 99 nissan sentra 4cyl 1.6 engine. I cant get my car to start after the drivers side cv joint went out on me while driving 55 mph. Iv replaced the cv joint. But my car is doin that thing like its flooded. Checked the plugs n they still look like new. Could it b the timing belt? Or is it just flooded n i need to keep trying?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
now the distributer cap is messed up cuz somebody forgot to put a screw back in and we have been tryin to start it without the distributer bein properly connected. But we did see inside the distributer that there is oil sludge inside wich maybe causing a senser to not see n therefor not send signal to whatever it needs to. Do i now need to replace the distributer as well? N did i harm anything else by tryin to start it without it being properly connected?
10/11/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

If the distributor cap wasn't screwed down, you probably just messed up or chewed up the cap and maybe the rotor, too. Replace the cap and rotor, clean the distributor out and get that oil out of there. Normally, that oil means that the felt gasket that sits under the distributor is missing and someone left it off after pulling the distributor out. If it is a lot of motor oil inside that distributor, I would mark it, remove it and install new gasket.

Then if it still don't start, let me know. But if you do suspect the timing belt broke, usually you can remove like the oil fill capon a valve cover and watch it there as someone cranks the engine over and see if the valves are opening and closing.

I see the camshaft position sensor is located inside that distributor, so if it is covered in oil, maybe it's a good idea to replace that as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Replaace the distributer cap n cam shaft position sensor?

yes, and the distributor rotor.

get them replaced yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No thats gonnatake me a little of time

Ok, just don't forget about me especially if I helped you fix it.

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician