Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

HJave A 3.0 V6 pathfinder 1987 Auto Trans. Runs okay When

Customer Question
hi HJave A 3.0 V6...
hi HJave A 3.0 V6 pathfinder 1987 Auto Trans. Runs okay When @3500rpm It Down shifts to lower gear And goes to 4000rpm?Bad on Gas Milage.what to do?
JA: Are you fixing your Pathfinder yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Had a lot of work done on it new sensors Injectors runs fine except down shift to lower gear?
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: replaced all @trottle body The issue is the trans 3speed auto downshifting to lower gear @55miles an hour?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
10/8/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.

as the MAF output is the load input into the ECU then any issues with it can effect the transmission control

As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane or brake cleaner around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.

if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty

It’s also worth cleaning the MAF sensor wires, as they can get coated with dirt over time which then offsets the reading

Use some contact cleaner or brake cleaner to spray onto the wires to remove the dirt – on no account touch the wires with anything as they are very fragile

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks

Glad to help

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer