Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I can't open the trunk of my 2002 nissan sentra gxe. The

Customer Question
latch by the driver's side...
I can't open the trunk of my 2002 nissan sentra gxe. The latch by the driver's side seat hasn't worked for years, and now the key won't open it either. The key goes in, but will not turn--no matter how hard I try.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: I have many spare keys and none of them work in the trunk. The key works in the ignition, so I can drive.
JA: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well . . . if it was an easy fix I would try. I don't have a lot of money and fear that it will be expensive to have a garage do it. Can I go to a locksmith?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've avoided dealing with this, but today a cop told me my brake lights are burned out. So now I have to get into the trunk to change bulbs.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
10/7/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago
Cary York

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

You can remove the back seat and gain access to the trunk. There should be an emergency release inside the trunk. I will post instructions to remove the rear seat.

Nissan Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago

My info says there are 2 types of rear seats. Fixed and folding. Your back seats DO NOT fold down do they?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they fold down, but you have to be in the trunk to pull the levers
Nissan Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago

Yes. You would have to fold the back of the seats down and climb into the trunk. There is a release handle that glows in the dark near the latch assy.

Nissan Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago

Remember if you rate me we can still continue the discussion.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have to leave my computer for an hour. But just how difficult is it to unattach seats so I can get into the trunk? I can do some basic handy-person things, but I'm not super great at this stuff? Is this something that will require special tools? And if I can get the seats out, how do I make sure the trunk key will work in the future?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But I can't fold the seats down because the handles that release the seats are in the trunk
Nissan Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago

Should not need any special tools. Here is a diagram of the seats and fasteners.

Nissan Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago

The seat bottom just pulls straight up and unsnaps. Then you can see the hindges at the bottom of the seat backs.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can I have a locksmith or someone just drill through the trunk lock where the key goes in?
Nissan Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago

Yes you could. A locksmith could open and fix the lock assy.

Nissan Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago

I will opt out so another expert can help.

Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

How handy are you?

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician