Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a '00 Nissan Xterra 3.3 L V6 2WD & ever since my

Customer Question

I have a '00 Nissan Xterra 3.3 L V6 2WD & ever since my radiator blew, I had to keep replacing parts like the ignition, distributor cap & new spark plugs. It will start, but it will just start sputtering and die when there is no acceleration and idle down and shut off. I've got it scanned twice now, and what I've been told is the knock sensor is what pops up. Is that would could be causing it to misfire and end up dying when I stop? Or what could it be? I just want my car fixed already.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The knock sensor will not cause this. Do you have any other codes?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
but I can not remember off of the top of my head. What did you have in mind??
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Well, the knock sensor will not cause a Service Engine Soon light. Normally you find the knock sensor code when another code is generated.

What brand spark plugs did you install?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will check in the morning. My car is parked somewhere else since it won't run long enough to make it to my house. I just know they were from my local auto parts store
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Sure.. Take your time and let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay the brand of spark plugs were made by "MasterPro"
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

That is the first thing you need to start with. These engines don't like any brand spark plugs but NGK's. So put some NGK spark plugs in and lets see how it runs.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I also had it rescanned and 2 codes popped up. The first said P0100 Mass or Volume Air Flo A Circut
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Then the Second code said P0325 knock Sensor 1 Cucuit Bank 1 or Single Sensor
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Maf sensor can certainly cause the truck to run poorly as well. But these cars don't like after market electrical parts. So you may want to just get the MAF sensor from the dealer and change the plugs. That should make it run much better if not correct it.

Let me know how you make out.

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Knock sensor won't cause any running issues. I would not worry about that unless you are due for inspection. The Knock sensor won't even turn on the Service Engine Soon light. You normally find that code when something else turns the light on, like the MAF sensor code.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay. I will probably try that. Does that take a long time to do? I would have to have someone else do it for me that's why
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
someone said maybe it could be the fuel filter or fuel pump and I just tried fuel injector cleaner and seems like it made it worse
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

The MAF sensor meters the air going into the engine. So if that is not working right, it can certainly feel like a fuel issue cause it's not metering the air properly.

You have a code for it, so you need to start with that. Plus the spark plugs.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay. I'll try that & let you know what happens in the next day or two! Thank you!
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Your welcome, Talk to you in a few days.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay so instead of just buying a new MAF sensor I bought cleaner specifically for that and it made a difference slightly, made sure all of the spark plugs were tightened but it still idles down below 1. It wants to stay at 1 but after leaving it running a bit then it idles rough again and runs below 1000 rpms and then dies eventually. I don't have money or time to keep replacing parts that aren't going to fix it. Should I just give up and sell my car and try to get something out of it? I really love it, I just have no one to help that knows what they're doing.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

I was suggesting to try cleaning the MAF sensor to see if it's simply that. If your still having issues, then the MAF sensor would need to be checked with a scanner to verify my thoughts. A Maf sensor is around 300 bucks for your truck. I don't think you would need to sell it over a 300 dollar part.

Do you have any more questions on this?