Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

98 Nissan altima 5 speed will not crank over. Pulled up and

Customer Question
stopped shut the car off,came...
98 Nissan altima 5 speed will not crank over. Pulled up and stopped shut the car off,came back out got in ,put the key in to start it and nothing.cleaned the terminals, nothing. Can you help me
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
9/23/2016
Nissan Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Im David, so its not even cranking now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you do not have an answer please give my money back and I will find out from someone else.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The car is in a parking lot 3 miles from here so I can't just run an check but after I cleaned the terminals it would not even turn over but it is getting juice because all the bells will sound and the lights on the dash are lit up

Im not a magician, you will need to do some testing. or do you want me to tell you a guess? sorry i dont guess.

if you are not willing to work with me here, then i can not help you. does its start with a jump? maybe just replace the starter.

check the fuses. check power to the starter, check power from the ignition switch. does the security light go out when turning the key to start.

do you have a meter? do you have a scan tool?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I no you are not a magician, I am not very good at communicating on line ,and I have to find a way back to the vehicle to check it out, and you can tell by the vehicle that I am driving that I do not have 26 more dollars to spend if I am going to have to have it towed anyway and the cost of the repairs. I am not very mechanicaly inclined.sorry to have bothered you.

Rod, first of all, i didnt offer the phone call. the site does that automatically. i just need you to work with me here a little. if you dont have a meter, at least check the fuses that would interfere wit hte starting of the vehicle. i will send you a diagram of the fuse panel.

thats not the correct engine size as nissan didnt make a 1.8 for the altima

if its a 4 cylinder its a 2.4

A melted fusible link can be detected either by visual inspection or by feeling with finger tip. If its condition is questionable, use circuit tester or test
lamp.

CAUTION:

a. If fusible link should melt, it is possible that a critical circuit (power supply or large current carrying circuit) is shorted. In such a case,

carefully check these circuits and eliminate cause of problem.

b. Never wrap outside of fusible link with vinyl tape.

Important: Never let fusible link touch any other wiring harness, vinyl or rubber parts

checking in to see how its going

do you still need assistance with your vehicle?

Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you still need help with this?

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician