Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

My 2005 Nissan altime AC fan doesn't stop it keeps spinning

Customer Question
Hi JA: Hi. What seems to...
Hi
JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: my 2005 Nissan altime AC fan doesn't stop it keeps spinning even if I turn it off on high all the time
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: no but this is related to electrical my AC and heater used to work fine I ran of anti freeze and my car mechanic fixed it since than I am seeing this issue
JA: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not me car mechanic did fix the anti freeze issue if it is small issue, I will get thet fixed
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that's it
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Just to be clear, this is the fan under the hood out at the radiator that won't turn off?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
AC fan, which keeps blowin the air on my face.

I see,

Ok, Does the car have auto climate control where you just set the dial to a certain temp and leave it, or manual where you can adjust it manually from hot to cold?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is manual

Ok

You have one of two issues happening here. If you have a test light or volt meter, we can figure out which one it is.

Either the blower resister is shorted to ground and always supplying full ground to the fan, OR the fan switch is sending ground to the fan at all times. If it's the second one it's bypassing the resistor and allowing the full 12 volts to get to the blower motor.

This isn't a major problem for a shop to diagnose if you are so inclined, it's definitely a problem in those 2 areas though.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a volt meter

Ok

Give me a moment to look up the wiring diagram and I can tell you what to look for.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sure
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how much does it cost to buy a resistor or how much does the mechanic charge me?

Ballpark the fan control amp is about $100, shop would charge about .5 hours labor to replace it.

To test, you have to get under the dash, remove the glove box so you can gain access to it. Then with your meter check for continuity to ground on the blue/white stripped wire. It has to be unplugged at the blower, but the fan control amp has to be plugged in when you check this wiring.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Also, please remember to rate my answer.
Thanks so much!

I haven't heard back from you on this so I was wondering if you need further assistance or is there anything else I can do to help?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician