Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

It starts for five seconds and cut off, Yes, 2002 Gxe, Yes I

Customer Question

It starts for five seconds and cut off
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2002 Gxe
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I bought a new MAF
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

When the car is running, or last running, did you have a Service Engine Soon light on? Also what size engine is this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just bought it. But it has been parked for three years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine is 1.8L
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If it's been sitting that long, the gas could have gone bad. Did you happen to scan the car for codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put in clean fuel and new pump. I also scan it, and I got a p0102 code so I got a new MAF sensor
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

oh.. ok.. Try this. Unplug the MAF sensor and see if it will start and idle with it unplugged. Do not drive it like this, this is only a test.

Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried that it's the same. The car doesn't idle. When I leave it overnight and try to start in the morning it only starts once and stays for five seconds. And does start
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

How much gas was in the tank and how did you get the old gas out? Are the spark plugs getting soaked with fuel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dried the tank with a cloth and I cleaned it. I have not removed the spark plugs
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

lets pull a few plugs and see if they are soaked with fuel and let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

let me know what you find

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All plugs are dry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I do now
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well I would want to check for Spark and injector pulse once it doesn't start. I have seen also if you install After Market Cam or Crank Sensors that it could not throw a code yet not allow the car to start. So I would check those as a basic and let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is spark. The car starts but cuts off. I only put in a new aftermarket MAF
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

These cars are very sensitive to after market electrical parts. I am sure the MAF sensor being after market won't operate properly, but even unplugged the car should start and idle. So I am sure it's not a MAF sensor issue. I do know that these year Sentra's did have Ecm issues. Some may even have chip keys. Do you have a security light ON solid when the key is in the ON position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No light. but it still doesn't start and run when the MAF is unplugged
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Why was the car sitting for 3 years? Any particular reason? Was that disclosed to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cause it was climbing hills very sluggish. They thought I was the plug leads they were stopped. But same problem. So they parked it up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry the plug leads were changed but same problem
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hmm.. I am wondering if there is something wrong with the intake timing operation.

Do you have the ability to check injector pulse? or fuel pressure? I know you replaced the pump, I am just trying to cover all possible ends since you have no codes..

Spark plug leads meaning the coils?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the coils.i have disconnected the fuel line going to the injector rail and it gets lots of fuel pressure
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That is good, but injector pulse is the key thing now to check. Cause that is what opens and closes the injectors to allow fuel to the engine. This is normally determined by using a Noid light. Also did you happen to check all fuses with a test light to make sure they are all good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a light tester but all fuses are good. I have a multi meter can I use that? Do I need the engine running to do that as it doesn't run?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

With a test light you are not just verifying the fuse is good, you are verifying that it's getting power as well. So that is certainly one thing you need to check

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will do it now and let you know. So how do I check the injectors
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As it doesn't start and run
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That you need a noid light. Cause the pulse is determined by the computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_teotIHmz7U

When you are checking fuses, it doesn't have to run. You just turn the key to the ON position and then check all fuses. Inside the car and under the hood

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know I will do this now.. But what about checking the injectors for pulse? Doesn't the engine have to be running?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You just need to unplug one of the injectors and it plug into the connector. Then you would simply just turn the engine over and monitor the noid light and see if it flashes. I shared a video on it for you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All fuses are good. And all injectors pulses
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

you have a noid light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got on from a friend.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can the evaporator in the back cause that
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well then things are starting to point to the computer if you have injector pulse and spark.

The Evap system won't cause any type of running issue.

Since there is no codes, I would try using a scanner to monitor engine signals to see if all are reading properly. Monitor intake timing especially. If the timing jumped, it could cause this as well. Or if you have a intake timing sprocket acting up. That would be the next thing I would be checking if everything else is good.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

either something is going with the intake timing operation ( intake sprocket ) or something with the computer is causing this issue.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

example, if you have a intake timing sprocket sticking or stuck in a advanced position, it can make it sound like the car wants to start but won't. It could also allow it to start and as soon as the sprocket wants to operate, stall. Which could be what you are experiencing. But a scanner is required to monitor the intake timing while the engine runs for that short time, or monitor it when the engine is turning over.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was a code p0102 before the changed the MAF.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That is a MAF sensor code, indicating the sensor is getting low voltage or has a internal issue. But if you unplug it, the car would run in it's default state. Since it doesn't run, there could still be something up the MAF sensor, but there is something else keeping the car from starting which is what I was trying to isolate with you.

So where I am thinking now is either something timing related, or computer related.