tracker40
tracker40, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified,35 years experience, Shop owner, electrical specialist
13677702

2000 Nissan Sentra 170,000 + miles had a bad head gasket,

Customer Question

2000 Nissan Sentra 170,000 + miles had a bad head gasket, changed it, now re-assembling. I think the timing chain hopped a gear as I was reinstalling the cams. I'm looking for a way to install correctrly.
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?
Customer: I had a bad head gasket years ago on a Chevy S-10. First time on this engine, yeas. 1.8 liters
JA: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, DIY. Tried to reassemble the cams, the locating pins on the sprockets see OK, but when I try to place the sprocket back onto the chain where I market both prior to disassembly, I get a lot of slack, and the cam lobes are canted upward a bit. I should think they should be completely horizontal with #1 at TDC.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it...
Category: Nissan
Expert:  tracker40 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, am I safe to assume and reading you made marks and trying to go back to your marks? did you get or do you have a new chain?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I made the marks. No I did not replace the chain.

Ok, bear with me so I can send information, Takes some typing and sending files so will return as quickly as possible

Ok, putting your own marks is sort of ok but not the correct way. You really should be steteing the chain per the repair manual as the links on the chain? you have colored links, yes. may be harder to find the colored links but will have to wipe down the links and look for colored links. This is why I asked about a new chain,. They are more pronounced. To answer about cam lobes? you can not go by this, 98% of engines the lobes are never straight up say on TDC #1. most times you will find lobes off to angles like 23-30 degrees. You are into the engine so I highly recommend back tracing and setting up the chain per the repair info from Nissan, What I have done is attached a file. A .pdf file for you to review, It may be more info than you need but this really needs to be followed. here is the link

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Randall, thanks for the info so far but I may not get to work on the vehicle till the weekend. BTW, the instructions you sent me have a bullet point in step 16 that says apply paint to timing chain and can sprockets for alignment during installation. ��

we do not do that step Unsure why they even put that in there. Its a matter of all other steps and colored links on the chain. Ignore that. I know where you are going with this but.... you set chain on colored links, step by step.

Please rate my service provided today this does NOT close THIS post. You do the require rating and can still followup eg: next weekend on this same post. Thanks