Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2000 maxima gle 3.0,, cannot get the check engine light to

Customer Question
turn off.. problem codes indicate...
2000 maxima gle 3.0,, cannot get the check engine light to turn off.. problem codes indicate coil packs.. it would idle very very roughly.. trouble codes indicated ignition coils... replaced coil packs with aftermarket... light went off and idle issue resolved for only a short time, maybe a couple thousand miles.. light came back on and rough idle issue came back.. trouble codes indicated ignition coils.. replaced aftermarket coils with genuine nissan.. replaced MAF.. replaced cam sensor.. idle issue went away and car was running good for about a couple thousand mile but check engine light still on.. today, however, the car had no response when trying to accelerate although idle was OK, and was unable to climb a small to medium mountain road.. i had to pull off the road because the car would not climb.. i know the motor mounts need to be replaced.. could the electronic motor mounts be causing these issues and burning out my ignition coils?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: it stays on except for when the car idles very roughly then it blinks until the idle stablizes somewhat
JA: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: initially changed the coils myself using aftermarket parts.. then took it to the dealer who changed MAF and cam sensor.. however that did not work so they told me i had to use genuine nissan coils.. i purchased genuine coils and replaced them again myseld
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: only that i love my maxima but im ready to shoot the dam thing right about now
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
9/2/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago
Cary York

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

The engine mounts would not cause this problem. But is the check engine light back on now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the check engine light is back on, however i have not yet read the codes.. on nissan forums ive read that the when the electronic motor mounts on these cars go bad they can fry other components including the ECU IAC and coils??
Nissan Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago

Let me look for technical bulletins from Nissan. Be right back.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i know there was a TSB regarding the coil packs which supposedly require geniune nissan parts in order for other components to work with them.. i believe there may have been a recall on the motor mounts but i am not sure if it relates to any electronic issues
Nissan Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago

I did not see anything other than what you have none. I will opt out and see if another expert may be able to help.

Nissan Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** motor mounts are very low on the list of possible problems. being that the engine has been under heavy misfiring for quite some time, with a smooth operating period in between, misfires will absolutely destroy catalytic converters. my advice would be to have the cats checked by doing a backpressure test just to eliminate that possibility

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
david.. thanks for the reply.. i had the car diagnosed by the dealer and they did not recommend any work on the cat.. but i will definitely check the cat possibilty.. how many cats does this car have?? what trouble codes should i look for related to cat??..i also read on a maxima forum that the electronic motor mounts can cause symptoms similar to what i experienced today with acceleration.. also that they can actually fry the the ECU and IAC and are somehow also connected to the trans which can cause the issue i had today.. many of the forum blogs stated that none of the dealers or nissan techs had knowledge of these issues and were unable to diagnose them.. i know you said the possibility of that being the cause is low, but if i were to unplug the electronic motor mounts and clear the codes would that be how i can eliminate the possibility?

being that it is a well documented issue, not by dealers or mechanics, there would be no harm in giving it a try. as far as the codes, they can be 0420, 0430, and a few more...but definitely have them checked anyway

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician