Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

My 2000 nissan altima has 76000 miles on it and it runs ok

Customer Question

My 2000 nissan altima has 76000 miles on it and it runs ok except at take of it has a little miss and the emissions egr monitor is showing inc also every once in a while it will give a P0304 code. I replaced spark plugs, rotar and cap, wires and EGR valve but nothing. When i remove the vacuum hose foing into the top of the EGR valve and plug it then drive the vehicle around it runs great. Can you help?
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: fuses? for what item the vehicle runs ok just just misses a little
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i am and I replaced spark plugs, rotar and cap, wires and EGR valve
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: When i remove the vacuum hose foing into the top of the EGR valve and plug it then drive the vehicle around it runs great
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

Well if plugging the EGR vacuum and blocking EGR flow corrects the problem then you it's safe to safe teh EGR valve is likely sticking open. This will cause the recirculation to dump exhaust gas at the intake during idle when it's supposed to be closed and cause the misfire and rough idle.

Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

If you have further questions just ask and ill be happy to help. If not please leave a kind rating. Thanks.