Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

We have a 2006 V6petrol pathfinder that has an intermittent

Customer Question
Hello, We have a 2006 V6petrol...
We have a 2006 V6petrol pathfinder that has an intermittent fault where the engine cots out at low speed and a number of warning lights come up. The car restarts as normal and the lights reset except for the master warning light. Any ideas as to what this may be?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
8/29/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;

Airflow meter

Crank position sensor

Cam position sensor

O2 sensor

Throttle position sensor

unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

And also unplug the wiring loom connections in the engine bay one at time and inspect for corroded or recessed pins.

Check the resistance of the spark plug leads ( 13-15Kohm / metre) and replace if any doubt or high resistance - Also replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V

Also check for exhaust leaks before the o2 sensor as if this has been experiencing an exhaust leak then it will have been running very rich as the sensor will see the extra air pulled in as fresh / lean fuelling and be adding fuel to compensate.

this can lead to catalyst failure as the extra fuel can re-light inside and melt the catalyst

The best way to find an exhaust leak is to run the engine from cold and feel around the exhaust joints with your bare hands - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot and you should feel any escaping gas blowing over your fingers

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Matt,
Thanks for your follow up, I think you are on the right track. I have had the vehicle in at our local Nissan dealer and they have plugged it in and had a fault code for camshaft sensor. They are telling me that the remedy is to replace the engine! this seems to be a fairly dramatic step (and expensive). I am surprised with this as the engine does not make any rattling or knocking noise, is fine on power and has good oil pressure. So other than cutting out once or twice and the waring lights being on the engine seems fine. I am interested in your thoughts on this. Regards Brett

Hello Brett

that reaction seems a little extreme, however this engine can be prone to the cam chain stretching which then produces a cam sensor error and then difficulties starting and a lack of power and eventually engine damage as valves touch pistons

so they may be thinking this has already happened

however to back this up I'd say the 1st thing to do is a compression test across all cylinders, as they should all be within 10-15psi of each other and if you have a couple of low cylinders then it would be a good idea to do a borescope inspection as most garages carry this equipment these days

however if the compressions are all fine then I'd say to just replace the cam sensor

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer