How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask HDGENE Your Own Question
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician
Category: Nissan
Satisfied Customers: 5564
Experience:  Master Auto Technician
Type Your Nissan Question Here...
HDGENE is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are unable to shift into park or reverse from drive, 10

Customer Question

Hi, we are unable to shift into park or reverse from drive
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: 10 years no leaking. This happened all of the sudden last night
JA: What is the model of your '10 Nissan?
Customer: 2006 maxima sl
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No we haven't tried ourselves, just happened last night. Research shows maybe a fuse??
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No don't think so
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Hello, the shifter wont move past neutral, it will go from neutral down to manual 1st ok but stops moving at neutral, it binds up?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will only move from drive to nuetral. Won't go to park or reverse
Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Ok, Im thinking the shifter cable might be broken. Apply the parking brake or chock the wheels so the car wont roll away. Goo under the hood and disconnect the transmission shifter cable from the transmission shifter linkage. Make sure the shifter linkage will have its full range of motion and goin into each gear manually. With the shifter cable disconnected. See if the end of the cable detatches from the cable and pulls out, indicating it is broken. If so, you will need to replace the cable and adjust it.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?