Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I have the p1273 code on my 2005 Nissan Xterra after

Customer Question
replacing the bank 1...
I have the p1273 code on my 2005 Nissan Xterra after replacing the bank 1 sensor 1 o2 sensor which was original. I read a service bulletin that says the ECM needs to be cleared or I will keep getting that code. Is there anyway to clear the ECM orther than having a factory tech do it? I need to get this in for Pa state emissions and the code is on. If I have the code cleared at autozone, it comes back in 100 miles with the p1273 lean condition. The car goes from running great to a real dog
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
8/22/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I would just like to start by making sure you replaced the correct Air Fuel Ration sensor ( upper 02 sensor ) by telling me where the sensor is located that you installed and where did you buy the part?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I bought the Bosch replacement sensor at Autozone. It is passenger side upper, before the cat

That is the correct side and location. How ever, when it comes to after market electrical parts, they tend not to work properly. Plus I think I recall a bulletin on this where after you replace the AF sensor you have to do a reprogram. Can I check into that later this evening for you when I am off work and get back to you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the service bulletein says the ECM needs to be cleared or it will be storing the code. That was my original; questions is there a way to clear the code other than taking it to a Nissan Tech to do it?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If theis code comes up after 100 miles of driving, Hopw can I pass the emmissions. If I take it to a garage, they are going to point to the sensor I just replaced as being bad because it is running in a closed loop situation

Oh if you are looking to simply clear the code, just disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
jay, I have disconnected the negative terminal overnight, then after 100 -150 miles of driving the p1273 code comes back on.
I wanted to make sure that resets the ECM memory by doing that. I have replaced the upstream sensor and after i did that the 1273 code comes on. If I just clear the code and turn the engine light off, it comes back after about 30 miles, If I disconnect the battery and then run, the code comes back after approx. 100-150 miles.
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician