Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Just Answer: I have a 2001 Nissan Xterra. It has been in

Customer Question

Hello Just Answer: I have a 2001 Nissan Xterra. It has been in storage for three years. I ordered many new parts for it. It was my deceased wife's car. She passed away in 2004. Since then the kids drove it and did not maintain it. Anyway it will not start. It always did start. Here is maybe what I did to raise some issues. I used some oven cleaner on the aluminum top to clean it. I sprayed the engine with cleaner and hosed it off. It still started after all this. But I wasn't getting cold air and I could not hear the compressor come on. I checked all fuses under dash. All good. So I then looked in the fuse box under the hood on the passenger side. I pulled a few of those multi prong relay things. Put them back because I could not check them with my tools. So now it won't start. I turn the key and nothing happens. No click click click. No crank. Dash and all lights work. A lot of power. It has a brand new battery. I even pulled of the negative cable hoping to reset something. Still the same thing. What is your opinion from this information so far. Thanks, Dave
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I am sorry to hear about your late wife. I will do my best to try to help you.

Do you have a Test light to check all fuses? Also do you hear a single click when you try to start it? Did you try starting it in neutral?

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just bought a test light yesterday. I just tried to start it in neutral. Nothing but quiet. No click. Is there a particular fuse to check under dash I am assuming. I pulled a groin muscle so I move slow. Also. Say I am working on the car and ask a question and you are not around. Will someone answer it? Because some questions might be when I am working on it and would like a quicker response and some questions might be for a no hurry answer. And do I pull the fuse and clip one end to the tester and touch the other end of the fuse with the sharp point?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well I am online till about 10 or 11 pm EST so I will be here to help you for a little while.

I work during the day, so I will not be online then to help you. If that is when you would need help, I will opt out and allow another expert to answer your question if they can be online for you at the times you require.

At the same time, we can also speak on the phone if you wanted to use the Premium Service. That would of course speed things up even more. So that is a offer available to you as well if you didn't know it. But there is a extra charge for that service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Thanks for the info. Can you respond to the fuse part of the question 21 August 2016 08:02?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The relays you were playing with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Not the relays yet. Is there a little fuse under the drivers dash I can check first?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well the first thing I would do is turn the ignition to the ON position, and use the test light to check all fuses inside the car and under the hood. Then I would check power at the starter when the key is turned to the crank position if the starter is not engaging. You would need a second person to help you with that part. You need to unplug the gray connector at the starter to check power there. The starter is located on the passenger side of the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think with my tester it works only with power off. So I will have to pull each fuse and test end to end. Thank you Customer
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You don't need to pull fuses to check fuses. This test light works fine for checking fuses. Here is a video on how you check fuses with a test light to help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksrsXwwukFc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks easy enough under the hood. But what about fuses under the dash to the lower left of the steering wheel? Where would I attach the aligator clip?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Find something metal. You can use the Brake pedal or any of the bolts on the firewall under the dash.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I test all fuses. Not relays though. (not sure how to test them. They have more than 2 prongs. All fuses tested okay. Funny thing some would not light up while in the socket. But when I pulled them to test they tested good. What next? Thanks, Customer
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You don't want to pull the fuse to check it. You want to use the test light on each side of the fuse and make sure the test light lights up on both sides of each fuse. If it only lights up on one side, that fuse is blown. If a fuse is not getting power, note what fuse it is and let me know..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/fuse%20check.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I will test more in the morning with more light. Getting tired and frustrated. I test with ignition key on correct? Just wondering why that tester I bought said with power off. You seen the label. Thanks. Customer
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You can test with power on and power off. But not all fuses get power when the key is off. That is why you check fuses with the key on, so all fuses should have power.

Have a good night David, I will talk to you tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a certain fuse that would shut down ignition and or power to the starter? Thanks. Have a good night Jay.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

There is a number of fuses that can do that. That is why it's best to check them all to start.

Let me know how you make out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All fuses good. Only one bad 20 amp accesory. I did change the 2 batteries in the key fobs around the no start issue. Only one fob seems to work though. Just sayin.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. So you found one bad fuse. Does the engine now turn over and try to start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Then the next step is to see if the starter is getting power when the key is turned to the crank position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm all alone. Can I just change the starter? It's original. 177K miles. 15 years old.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I would rather you not replace a part unless we verify it needs it.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Is there anyone that can help you later to check to see if the starter is getting power when the key is turned to the crank position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try. Might take awhile. I ordered a jack a creeper. I tried to get under without but don't feet far enough to see anything. But what is the process to check the starter for power while key is in crank position? Thanks Customer
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Yes, what you do is unplug the gray connector at the starter and with the test light you want to stick it in the connector while someone turns the key and holds it in the crank position. If the test light lights up, that means you are getting the proper power to the starter and you need a starter. If it doesn't light up, then we need to look at the starter circuit and try to isolate your issue.

Understand?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the connector have 2 pongs male or female to test? Do I attach the alligator clip to the frame?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The starter motor is undernearh on the passenger side. Correct? Is it accessible in front of the frame or behind it? Thanks Dave931956. Having a bad day here. Pulled a groin muscle. Trying to rest. But I figure the more I know frim your answers the better prepared I will be.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. If you crawl under the truck behind the passenger front wheel you should be able to access the starter. It's a gray 1 pin connector. You would only need to probe that one wire. Clip the ground of the test light to something metal to test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I'll check tomorrow. No problem with delay. I have 2 keys and fobs. I recenty changed the batteries in both. I thought for sure they both worked before battery changes. Now only one works. Do these things go bad?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

They can. Or you got one bad battery. I would try swapping the batteries and see if the problem switches. If it does, then you know you have a bad remote battery

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jay: I'm getting closer to testing that one wire. I bought a garage in a box and jacked the x up in the middle of the front axle or steel beam. I crawled underneath but still don't have enough clearance. I think I see the starter. Is it close to the oil pan? Also I think I had my hand on the correct wire i think is has ridged plastic covering. Is there a better spot to locate the jack to I can get closer? I was thinking of jacking it up right behind the wheel. It looks like a big triangular piece of steel. Please advise.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Any chance you can take a picture and show me what you are seeing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can tomorrow. I gave up for the night. Just can't get the height I need with this jack in a box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe use more pieces of 2 x 12's
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I don't recommend using wood. I can normally just slide under. Maybe get a small hydrulic jack to jack it up a little.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I use the wood just to get it high enough to use jack stands. I try to be Mr. Safety. But the jack stands go so high. I have a few bottle jacks in storage. Might go locate them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would help if I knew where to jack and where to enter creeper.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I feel a "boot" that pulled away. But that one wire disconnect seems higher up. Wondering if it is accessible from the hood.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You want to only deal with the electrical plug at the starter. Don't worry about that boot unless you are going to change it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right. That's what I thought.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I need to call it a nite. I m tired as heck. getting to bed early tonight.

Let me know how you make out..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See you tomorrow.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Checking in to see how you are making out..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jay: Thanks for checking. The morning was rained out here in Chicago. I did some chores inside and by the time the rain cleared and it dried out outside I was too tired from this debilitating leg pain. Have to see maybe one more doc for proper diagnosis. Next week appt. But I'll try to get back out there tomorrow morning and I'll let you know.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem. Take your time. Heath is more important. I am here when you need help with this. So no worries there...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jay. Cause its a big job. I need a cat. I bought a muffler with pipe. New tires. New Battery. New wheel hubs. New mats. New 3 piece front bumper grill parts. New fog lights. New corner front lens.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Wow... You got allot of work ahead of you after we get it running again.. hehe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't plan on leaving just yet. I'll be 60 in a few days. Body just can't keep up with what my mind wants to do. I'm always active and doing something around the house and in the garage. But I will have to adjust things now I guess.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Just take your time. Remember to work at a pace that works for you. Don't push yourself to hard.

Time to get some Zzz's. Talk to you soon. Have a good night.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jay. No update. Resting hip. No other way to do it for now. Have doc appt. Monday afternoon. But if I think I can work on x for a few hours before then I will. Have a good night. Customer
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem Sir! You take care of yourself. I will be here when you are feeling better .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jay: I was feeling somewhat better this morning and decided to go out and attempt fixing the issue. No Luck. Before this no start issue arose I bought 2 steel ramps from Harbor Freight Tools. I was going to make my repairs from side to side. They looked like they would give me enough clearance to work under the vehicle. I just can't seem to get enough clearance to see or feel anything. I believe I see the starter and solenoid, Its all one color. But I do not have enough room underneath to move my arms and so on. Not sure what to do. But I thought I would check in. I'm trying to position jacks and creepers but not making much progress.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well if the starter is not engaging to try to start the truck, we need to check for power at the starter to see if it's getting power. This way it gives us a source of direction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jay: I found the connection. Now I have to creep back under with some more tools and try and separate it. In order to test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still can not separate plug. Maybe corrosion inside. Idk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I can't get the plug to disconnect can I stick the pointy end of the tester into the upper wire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or lower wire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or both?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I use a small screw driver to press the release tab to unplug that connector if it gives me a hard time...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that. Only 1 tab. Correct? Just cant pull apart
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no power coming from the separated connection.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You tested it with the key in the Crank Position correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My friend did. I was underneath.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. We need to Locate the Park / Neutral Relay under the hood

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

is that on the passenger fender?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

hmm.. It should say PNP relay...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats it J. 2001 X. If you're tired get back to me tomorrow.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That is the wiring diagram. So you can see what I am seeing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that. This is a V6 with automatic transmission. I was going to ask if it was a stick...

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Clutch interlock Relay.. That is the one you want to remove..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see a wiring diagram. Idk anything about that at the moment. Too late to focus. I sent you 2 pics earlier.The cover for fuses under the hood and a removed cover of whats underneath.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok... Lets continue tomorrow. I should be online earlier tomorrow. Maybe around 5 pm EST.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's 2 pics of the part in question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jay for your patience with me. You guys deserve all the money you earn for your profession. I've been tinkering all my life. And with cars, anything is possible. I make and paint backyard bean bag games. I know what can go wrong there and how to fix it.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the complement.

With that relay removed, if you look at the under side of it. You can see the numbered pins. Do you see them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jay: I see six numbered pins. 1-2-3-5-6-7
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Pin number 5, we want to see if that is getting power now when the key is turned to the crank position

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright. I go to the X and attach my tester alligator to ground and touch PIN 5 with the pointy end of the tester while cranking and see if the tester lights up?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Take the alligator end and just put it on the negative battery terminal. Then take the pointed end to pin 5 where the relay would be. Then turn the key to the Crank Position to see if you have power. If you do have power, it should light up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to creep under the X and re attach the connector that I had trouble separating first? I left it disconnected from yesterday.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You can leave it disconnected for now. If we are getting power at pin 5, then I am going to want you to plug it in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Give me a few. It's raining again here.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Take your time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No test light on when attached to pin 5.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Key was in the crank position, right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Then something is disrupting power from the ignition switch to this pin. Do you know if the truck has a after market alarm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Factory alarm. I bought it new for my wife. Funny you should mention security system. I was doing some reading and that issue caught my eye. Especially since I changed both batteries in 2 key fobs. It seems to work cause sometimes I open the hood and not unlocking doors. When I open hood, alarm sounds. It does not latch properly to catch the lock where you have to pull the hood release cause my granddaughter knocked the hood out of whack a few years ago. But I never had a issue with starting a few times a year for the past three years while it was in storage. Just the other night I disconnected both battey terminal connections overnight try to reset the security system. It didnt do anything different the next morning. I was just hoping it would start
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You never told me that the alarm would go off. When the alarm went off, was the head lights flashing or the parking lights?

The reason I am asking is cause the type of lights would tell me the type of alarm that is going off. At the same time, the factory alarm won't keep power from getting to pin 5 on that relay.

Let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Jay. I was never trying to hide any issues from you intentionally. So now. What happens is. Mind you it is still not connected underneath and the six pin relay is on my workbench. When I try to open the hood now with all that in mind. The alarm does not go off. I am able to open the hood without the alarm going off. But lets say I am done driving for the night and everything is closed. When I lock the X the front two cornering lights flash and also the two tail lights flash all at the same time. No headlights flash. Headlights are good.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

AHHH.. That is a After Market alarm.. This is making sense now.. We need to take a look under the dash for a after market alarm. It looks like this

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/After%20market%20Alarm%20control%20unit%20unplugged.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay Jay. I'll check out the link later. A bit tired now. Long day at docs office. Xrays new prescriptions. A lot of waiting.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I hear ya.. When you can is all I am saying. You know I reply back to you as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You always do. Thank you for that.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem. Talk to you soon

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jay. I checked out the link. Shows pic of black box PYTHON. I just never figured the x to have a aftermarket alarm system. The key fobs say Nissan. Just wondering why you say its "aftermarket "? I still am not up to crawling under dash tonight to look.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Just cause the key fob is a Nissan fob, they have remote start systems that use the factory remote, yet in order to get a remote start to work, a after market alarm has to be installed. The name of the alarm may not be the same in the image I provided, but take a peak under the dash and let me know if you see anything that looks like it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jay. This metal box looks somewhat out of place. I cant tell what it is. It is behind the floor console shifter below the radio and behind a cover that has a cigarette lighter and a tiny indent storage. There is not anything unusual under the dash also not much room.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I open the door the security light flashes red intermitantl. I just didn't catch it on in the pic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jay: is it okay to creep back under the x and re connect that starter wire? Also, can I plug the relay thing back in?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Yes and yes. The first couple images is the Ecm. The others I can't see anything after market. The security light to blink when you open the door is normal.

We may need to check power out of the ignition switch. See if the ignition switch is able to supply power to go to Pin 5. Even though you are not getting power, if we have power out of the switch, that means there is a wire issue from the ignition switch to the relay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I check pin 5 again with the connection back together underneath. While cranking?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

No, we are going to need to access the ignition switch connector.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

We need to see if the Black wire with the Yellow stripe is getting power when the key is turned to the Crank Position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am removing parts to get to this? Where is it located? I know, at the ignition switch. I new when I washed the engine there were going to be issues. I washed it anyway. I could kick myself. I have many parts to install and never had a starting issue. I am so far behind schedule. Oh well.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The connector should be right under the drivers side dash for the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am done for the night anyway. I was out there asking questions for three hours. I'm tired have a good night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Test black wire with yellow stripe. Is is a connector I need to separate or stick the pointy end in the wire while alligator is ground?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the aftermarket security system?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

We need to try to leave the plug connected and check for power. If you have a pin you can use to push into the back of the connector then use the test light to touch the pin to check for power.

Sorry about the delay. I got online late tonight cause I was out with my family.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do tomorrow. Weather good here. Can you give me a couple more things to check to keep me busy until you are ready. I don't want to waste a day waiting for answers. You know what I'm sayin? If I test the wire and there is power obviously it's not gonna start. I need some steps. I'm
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok,

If you check for power at the Black wire with the Yellow stripe at the ignition switch and you do have power! Then you need to ohm the wire from the ignition switch to pin 5 at the relay. I am sure you won't have continuity which means some where between the ignition switch and that relay there is a broken wire. So now the hard part. Follow the harness to try to locate that broken wire. Or cut the wire at the ignition switch and run your own wire to pin 5 at the relay. This is going to get more advanced as far as electrical diagnostic after you check for power.

Now if you check for power and you don't have power coming out of Black wire with the yellow stripe, Then you need to check for power going into the ignition switch which is the Green wire. I provided you with the wiring diagram if you want to look at it to try to under stand what I am having you do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.