Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

04 Altima 2.5 originally quit while driving down the

Customer Question

04 Altima 2.5 originally quit while driving down the highway. will start idle a little then die. will keep running with starting fluid sprayed into intake. replaced fuel pump, still have same problem
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

So the car stalled while driving, and will continue to run on starting fluid?

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

have you checked fuel pump voltage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no which wire is the B+ at the pump the black with yellow tracer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the only mil code is a catalyst code, I notice on the scanner that I no not see rpm while cranking but it shows up after it starts
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

yes its black wire with yellow tracer

also the RPM signal comes from the crank sensor and the rpm signal is relevant for fuel pump operation

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the fuel pump continues to run after the car dies. will continue to run on starting fluid, evidently the injectors turn off ? any ideas
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hooked up a noid light. it continues to blink but very fast, making me think the injectors are not staying on long enough
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

Tit should click kinda fast, but not too fast like a strobe or nothing like that.

Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

if you have injector pulse and good fuel pressure but need starting fluid, that doesn't make alot of sense unless the injector timing is way off which is extremely uncommon and would be related to the cam sensor operation or the ECM itself.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I know I have a scanner hooked up and if you can believe it think it showed pulse width at 1.8ms and I would think it would be 2.8-3ms?
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

yeah, here are the pulse width specs for this year model and engine.