Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Starter doesn't crank occasionally. Seems to happen when

Customer Question

Starter doesn't crank occasionally. Seems to happen when weather and car is hot. Changed the relay by coolant bottle. Running through gears and while depressing pedal sometimes work, or if I'm parked on a hill and let car barely roll and bump the clutch while in gear, then turns right over. Seems logical to change switch for clutch pedal, but would popping the clutch while barely moving or rocking car in gear affect that?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description sounds like the starter itself. When the brushes start going bad in the starter tapping on the starter will make it engage. The next time it won't crank try tapping on the starter, if it engages the starter motor is at fault.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

I do understand the clutch interlock switch and the relay are a lot easier to get to than the starter. You can bypass the clutch interlock switch on the bracket above the clutch pedal simply by jumping the connector together. The clutch interlock switch provides a path to ground for the holding coil in the clutch interlock relay when the switch is closed. This will enable the vehicle to crank without the clutch engaged.

Let me know what all you find
Thanks