Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I HAVE A 1998 PATHERFINDER IN MY SHOP AND THE FACTORY ALARM

Customer Question
GOES OFF RANDOMLY THE CUST...
I HAVE A 1998 PATHERFINDER IN MY SHOP AND THE FACTORY ALARM GOES OFF RANDOMLY THE CUST JUST WANTS TO DISSCONNECT IT CANT FIND ANY INFO ON HOW IT DISSCONNECTED IT
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/12/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The factory alarm is integrated into the truck so it can't be disconnected. Have you experienced the alarm going off? I can help you isolate the reason why the alarm maybe going off.

Let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK just at random the alarm will go off horn hooking and lights flashing

which lights flash? Head lights or parking lights?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Headlight

Ok, That is the factory system. Let me go over how it operates a little with you so you understand, then we can do checks to see if we can isolate why it's going off.

The factory alarm, when you first lock the car the security light should turn solid for 10 to 20 seconds and then start to flash. That is it's normal operation. If it doesn't turn solid, then it's not properly setting.

Also, when the light is solid is in the arming process. Meaning if you open the door while it is solid the alarm will not go off. But as soon as it starts flashing if you were to reach in and open any door, the alarm would go off.

So what I would do as a starting point is to see if each door when you open it turns the dome light on. If one particular door does not turn on the dome light, that could be the reason the alarm is being triggered.

Lets check that and let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dome light comes on with all doors and hatch

Ok. Cool. Now if you lower all the windows and lock the doors does the security light turn solid when you lock the door and then blink?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No blinks never goes solid

Then the alarm system see's one open switch somewhere. Open the hood and locate the hood switch and unplug it. Then see if the alarm light will turn solid when you lock the truck.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Same thing steady blinking never goes solid

Really... When you lock the truck it does not turn solid for 10 to 20 seconds then start to blink?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope steady blinking

You checked all fuses correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All fuses are good

Try removing the drivers door switch and unplug it. Then see if it arms with that switch unplugged. It is seeing something is open. That is why it's not turning solid, so I would go through all door switches. If it still does not arm with all door switches checked out, it has to be the hatch or the glass on the hatch causing the alarm to not arm properly and cause it to go off.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I open the back glass does not turn on the dome light on
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wouldn't the dome light stay on if one of the door switches were bad was it five dollars for this whole conversation or five pre response

You only are charged one charge for this whole conversation.

The door switch is the only door switch that is a 4 wire switch. All the others are a 2 wire. That is why I asked to check the drivers door. Since all the other doors turn on the light. The only other switch that could be the problem is the hatch glass.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is the dome light suppose to come on when I open the back glass

It doesn't, but the glass does have a switch in the latch.

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician