Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I HAVE A 1998 PATHERFINDER IN MY SHOP AND THE FACTORY ALARM

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1998 PATHERFINDER IN MY SHOP AND THE FACTORY ALARM GOES OFF RANDOMLY THE CUST JUST WANTS TO DISSCONNECT IT CANT FIND ANY INFO ON HOW IT DISSCONNECTED IT
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

The factory alarm is integrated into the truck so it can't be disconnected. Have you experienced the alarm going off? I can help you isolate the reason why the alarm maybe going off.

Let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK just at random the alarm will go off horn hooking and lights flashing
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

which lights flash? Head lights or parking lights?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Headlight
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Ok, That is the factory system. Let me go over how it operates a little with you so you understand, then we can do checks to see if we can isolate why it's going off.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

The factory alarm, when you first lock the car the security light should turn solid for 10 to 20 seconds and then start to flash. That is it's normal operation. If it doesn't turn solid, then it's not properly setting.

Also, when the light is solid is in the arming process. Meaning if you open the door while it is solid the alarm will not go off. But as soon as it starts flashing if you were to reach in and open any door, the alarm would go off.

So what I would do as a starting point is to see if each door when you open it turns the dome light on. If one particular door does not turn on the dome light, that could be the reason the alarm is being triggered.

Lets check that and let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dome light comes on with all doors and hatch
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Ok. Cool. Now if you lower all the windows and lock the doors does the security light turn solid when you lock the door and then blink?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No blinks never goes solid
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Then the alarm system see's one open switch somewhere. Open the hood and locate the hood switch and unplug it. Then see if the alarm light will turn solid when you lock the truck.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Same thing steady blinking never goes solid
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Really... When you lock the truck it does not turn solid for 10 to 20 seconds then start to blink?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nope steady blinking
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

You checked all fuses correct?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All fuses are good
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Try removing the drivers door switch and unplug it. Then see if it arms with that switch unplugged. It is seeing something is open. That is why it's not turning solid, so I would go through all door switches. If it still does not arm with all door switches checked out, it has to be the hatch or the glass on the hatch causing the alarm to not arm properly and cause it to go off.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I open the back glass does not turn on the dome light on
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Wouldn't the dome light stay on if one of the door switches were bad was it five dollars for this whole conversation or five pre response
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

You only are charged one charge for this whole conversation.

The door switch is the only door switch that is a 4 wire switch. All the others are a 2 wire. That is why I asked to check the drivers door. Since all the other doors turn on the light. The only other switch that could be the problem is the hatch glass.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is the dome light suppose to come on when I open the back glass
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

It doesn't, but the glass does have a switch in the latch.