Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Technician
36867192

2013 Nissan Altima, with automatic HVAC -- intermittent

Customer Question

2013 Nissan Altima, with automatic HVAC -- intermittent blower (blows for a few seconds, then shuts off for a while, then blows again; while not blowing, it is making a clicking sound like it's trying to start).
Sequence of events, to date:
- Got leaves in the blower, blew fuse
- Cleaned out the leaves, replaced the fuse... then blower became intermittent immediately.
- Replaced blower. No improvement.
- Replaced auto controller (where you set the temperature and such). No improvement.
- Replaced the Front Blower Motor Relay. No improvement.
I'm out of ideas. Help?!
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'm going to try to help

Have you tried replacing the blower motor resistor or looking at it for damaged pins. If the blower motor caused the fuse to blow due to debris stuck in the housing, it is very possible that it got the blower resistor connector hot and maybe damaged it a bit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought there is no resistor with an Auto HVAC system...? If there is a resistor, can you please explain its location or provide a diagram?

Let me look it up, I could be mistaken. I didn't know that this was an auto system (*I should have asked). Give me a moment and I'll get back to you

I am so sorry, you are absolutely correct. This model uses variable voltage from an a/c auto amp. I believe this is one of the parts you replaced...I am afraid I am also out of ideas on this one. If you have replaced nearly every component in the system and it still has intermittent operation...the only other idea I can think of is perhaps there is some kind of calibration or reset procedure for the blower after replacing the controller. I am afraid I don't have any useful tips to offer at this point and I will opt out to let another expert get a crack at it. Good luck!

Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 1 year ago.

Most likely, the wiring harness leading to the blower motor has been damaged from overheating the wiring and will. have to be replaced. The wiring can be tested for integrity using a Digital volt /ohm meter by a competent technician. Please accept my answer, if you have any further questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Please accept my answer, if you have any further questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.