Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

2005 altima 2.5 crank no start

Customer Question

2005 altima 2.5 crank no start
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you

Is this the first time this has happened? Also, before it did, was the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i bought this car on craigslist. I dont think the check engine light works.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
this is the first time this has happened.

Thank you, ***** ***** I am afraid there is not a lot to go off of when there are no engine codes, but these cars do have a very, very common problem with what are called camshaft and crankshaft position sensors. There is usually a corresponding engine trouble code (engine light code) that references the sensors but it may be worth it in lieu of a code to try to replace them. They are usually under $100 and can be easily replaced. I cannot say for sure that this is the problem, but if you are going to try to fix it yourself with minimal diagnostics, this would be the very most likely place to start and fix the problem. I hope this info helps!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had an engine code. p0304. cam shaft sensor. I replaced both the crank shaft sensor and cam shaft sensor. code is gone but engine still wont start. got both the parts from autozone.

Did this code come up when the car wouldn't start, or has it been there for a while?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just bought the car. No history on it. The car ran great for a couple of days. Then it ran rough for a day. Real rough. I started it and it was rough idle and then it wouldnt start again. I plugged in the ODBII and that code came up.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is also no spark on all 4 of the coils. The battery is charged.

Did you inspect the connectors for the cam and crank sensors as you were installing them for oil contamination or other problems?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there was no oil contamination. What other problems?

Other than a wiring problem or a faulty sensor the only other possibility would be actual timing problems. The easiest way to test for this would be to check compression on all cylinders. If they are all significantly low to a similar extent from cylinder to cylinder then you likely have timing problems and will need to tear the front cover down to check the chain alignment.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hmmmm.....thanks

You're welcome, let me know if I can help any more.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will check tonight and get back with you.

Hi, this is Josh just checking in to see if you have had a chance to check compression yet?