Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

I have a 2010 Nissan altima that won't start. It will either

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Nissan altima that won't start. It will either click once or do a short burst of clicks then nothing. I have changed the cam sensor, the crankshaft sensor, the brake switch and put in a new battery. I have no idea where to go from here. Any ideas?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

To be clear, is the engine cranking at all or just no cranking?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. I get one click and then nothing or a fast click click click click then nothing.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Ok

When there is nothing, is there still power to the car and it just stops making the clicking noise?
Or are you losing all electrical power?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Additionally I noticed a plug of some sort hanging down in front on the drivers side. Not sure if that has any effect on the situation.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I still have electrical. I have the push button start thing and I can cycle through so everything comes on just fine...just no engine.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Is the wire on this plug very thick wire or a thin wire?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's got some plastic cover on it. Underneath the cover there looks to be 2 thin-ish wires. One blue and one black.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Ok

I can't be sure what they go to, best guess would be the ambient air temp sensor, but what I was looking for was that it's not the ground cable off the battery. It isn't.

I would make sure you can rotate the engine by hand. Put a socket on the crank pulley bolt and make sure the engine will rotate. If it will, then I would first check the whole positive cable from the battery to the starter and mke sure it's not swollen with corrosion. If it isn't, then I would replace the starter itself. Since you know the battery is good, and the starter is acting like this, there is a good possibility it's the problem. I just like to eliminate the battery cables as a possible cause.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!