Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

One week ago wife tries to leave work in 2010 Altima.

Customer Question

One week ago wife tries to leave work in 2010 Altima. Completely dead - no light no trunk release - nada. Call AAA install new battery. All is well until last night. Same thing, only I com and start with jumper cables and all is fine. Drive 10 minutes to restaurant. Eat come out, starts fine drive home 15 min. It's been in garage all night and I believe I can start it now (lights will come on) WTF?
JA: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?
Customer: You are a computer
JA: I'm an assistant to the Nissan Mechanic. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: WD40 on what?
JA: What year is your Altima?
Customer: as I said, 2010
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: New battery
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.
Hey there, Nissan expert here.What happens when you try to start it now? This is a push button start I assume?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
push button - Just started perfectly
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.
Next time it doesn't start you need to pay attention to what it does exactly when you press start button.
If it goes to ACC or ON position but doesn't try to start or whether it says no key.
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.
More than likely here with a good battery like that and intermittent starting issues your looking at either a brake switch that's on its way out or a weak battery in your intelligent key. Both are easy to diagnose but you can't diagnose until it's not starting again.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when this happened both times, it did nothing, not a beep, light doorlocks wouldn't function, trunk release, NOTHING
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.
Then it was not detecting the key, replace the battery in the key soon as can they are super cheap. $3
In the meantime if it happens just put the FOB in the emergency key slot by your knee if it happens again.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
with key not detected, there is usually still some power, dome light, dash indicators, etc. ???
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You there?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have the key in here in the house now. I want to go see what the car is supposed to act like when no key is detected.
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.
K, it doesn't do anything without key detection.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it does! The dome light comes on when I open the door, and the panel says "no key when I push the button' .
When the problem occurred, there was ZERO power for anything!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is as though the battery was completely disconnected when the problem occurred, and yet, a jump start instantly corrected it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's as though there is a random "Kill Switch"
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.
There is not kill switch or inertia switch in Nissan vehicles of any male model or year.
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.
Really just a guessing game until it's actually happening and I can walk you through a few step. I mean the fact that it was completely dead and then jump started could have been a loose battery terminal that got jiggled with the jumper cables or the key could have started communicating but wasn't previously. Trust me I diagnose no starts every single day and when it's actually happening would be happy to do a phone call request and walk you through it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Cables are very tight. The fact that normally it will light the dome lights and panel and do electrical things WITHOUT the key anywhere near rules out key communication issues, right?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You say it's a guessing game - I'm looking for some guesses, but key fob and battery cables aren't it. If it happens again, I want to test battery with meter while car is dead
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.
Testing the battery with a meter won't tell you much unless it has a real low voltage reading, cranking amperage test is what's relevant.
Granted a battery that was so dead it wouldn't unlock doors or anything wouldn't jump right off easily with jumper cables, it would still likely struggle a little bit.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yeah, that's the mystery! The battery is good, and seemingly , so is the alternator,
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
cranked instantly w/ cables. Drove only 10 minutes, parked for an hr. Started right up. Drove 15 min home, sat all night, still starts right up. WTF???
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.
Like I said before, it's merely a guessing game based off information in getting from you unless it's actually happening. From my experience and the details your giving me, I'd place my bet on a key issue over others, but that's merely a guess until you have the issue again.