Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

One week ago wife tries to leave work in 2010 Altima.

Customer Question
Completely dead - no light...
One week ago wife tries to leave work in 2010 Altima. Completely dead - no light no trunk release - nada. Call AAA install new battery. All is well until last night. Same thing, only I com and start with jumper cables and all is fine. Drive 10 minutes to restaurant. Eat come out, starts fine drive home 15 min. It's been in garage all night and I believe I can start it now (lights will come on) WTF?
JA: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?
Customer: You are a computer
JA: I'm an assistant to the Nissan Mechanic. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: WD40 on what?
JA: What year is your Altima?
Customer: as I said, 2010
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: New battery
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
8/3/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Hey there, Nissan expert here.What happens when you try to start it now? This is a push button start I assume?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
push button - Just started perfectly
Next time it doesn't start you need to pay attention to what it does exactly when you press start button.
If it goes to ACC or ON position but doesn't try to start or whether it says no key.
More than likely here with a good battery like that and intermittent starting issues your looking at either a brake switch that's on its way out or a weak battery in your intelligent key. Both are easy to diagnose but you can't diagnose until it's not starting again.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when this happened both times, it did nothing, not a beep, light doorlocks wouldn't function, trunk release, NOTHING
Then it was not detecting the key, replace the battery in the key soon as can they are super cheap. $3
In the meantime if it happens just put the FOB in the emergency key slot by your knee if it happens again.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
with key not detected, there is usually still some power, dome light, dash indicators, etc. ???
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You there?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the key in here in the house now. I want to go see what the car is supposed to act like when no key is detected.
K, it doesn't do anything without key detection.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it does! The dome light comes on when I open the door, and the panel says "no key when I push the button' .
When the problem occurred, there was ZERO power for anything!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is as though the battery was completely disconnected when the problem occurred, and yet, a jump start instantly corrected it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's as though there is a random "Kill Switch"
There is not kill switch or inertia switch in Nissan vehicles of any male model or year.
Really just a guessing game until it's actually happening and I can walk you through a few step. I mean the fact that it was completely dead and then jump started could have been a loose battery terminal that got jiggled with the jumper cables or the key could have started communicating but wasn't previously. Trust me I diagnose no starts every single day and when it's actually happening would be happy to do a phone call request and walk you through it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cables are very tight. The fact that normally it will light the dome lights and panel and do electrical things WITHOUT the key anywhere near rules out key communication issues, right?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You say it's a guessing game - I'm looking for some guesses, but key fob and battery cables aren't it. If it happens again, I want to test battery with meter while car is dead
Testing the battery with a meter won't tell you much unless it has a real low voltage reading, cranking amperage test is what's relevant.
Granted a battery that was so dead it wouldn't unlock doors or anything wouldn't jump right off easily with jumper cables, it would still likely struggle a little bit.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah, that's the mystery! The battery is good, and seemingly , so is the alternator,
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
cranked instantly w/ cables. Drove only 10 minutes, parked for an hr. Started right up. Drove 15 min home, sat all night, still starts right up. WTF???
Like I said before, it's merely a guessing game based off information in getting from you unless it's actually happening. From my experience and the details your giving me, I'd place my bet on a key issue over others, but that's merely a guess until you have the issue again.
Jake
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician