Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

My 2008 Nissan titan smokes and has consumed 75 qts of oil,

Customer Question

My 2008 Nissan titan smokes and has consumed 75 qts of oil, what would cause this, i already changed the pcv valve, replced 2 coils, new spark plugs, my catylic converter got screwed up, what causes all this damage?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

more than likely if your burning alot of oil, then you have blowby at the oil rings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What's blowby oil its like if i said and uaed medical terms with you after you agreed to pay, not satisfied
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what no answer?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, my wife took over the PC and I had to log in on my phone.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Blow-by is when the oil rings start to wear and it allows oil enter the combustion chamber and its burnt off
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
You could also have PCV issues because of the actual valve covers that replacing the little valve won't correct, but the amount of oil consumption your talking about doesn't seem like a crankcase ventilation issue.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
When you replaced your spark plugs were any of them oily?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cyl 6
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
valve covers are new
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

well cylinder 6 could have had a tube seal leak as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did this is why i replaced the valve covers
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

all you can do at this point for such excessive oil consumption is perform a proper leakdown test. which may or may not show a leak. if there is a leak then you can pinpoint what its from obviously (rings, headgasket, valve seal, etc) but at the same time you can have good compression and still have oil ring issues. So it's simply a matter of ruling out other issues beforehand is all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can drop that one cylinder and relace the rings
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would i perform a proper leakdown test if it may not be accurate or a compression test that might not show the oil ring leak?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some one suggested it maybe the the valve stem seals
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Because it WILL show if there is a valve stem, head gasket, or compression ring issue.
I was merely warning that you could have good compression but still have oil ring issues. That's all