Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have NIssan altima 2002. neighbour told that car alarm

Customer Question

I have NIssan altima 2002.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: neighbour told that car alarm starts @ 2-3 AM every night
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: everything working fine..just issue with car alarm system..
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i also checked that car alarm security lights are not flashing...PLease advice what could i do..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure...it got disabled or not.....
remember few days ago my daughter open the car's driver side door and window glass down then i up it.....just explaining this because not sure these steps could disabled the car alarm system...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be be posting a replay ASAP

you need to have the car scanned with a Nissan scanner or equivalent and read the anti theft module for fault codes and identify what is failing , the security module , the key, the door switch the hood switch , the antenna etcc.. and then replace that part and clear codes again

the scanner at advance auto or auto zone only read engine module , so that want work

Get the codes retrieved and post to back here to me and let you know what is failing and how to replace , if you planing on doing this yourself

some components will require to be programed by a scanner

I sent you a link for the components that you can check your self

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3njfr4x2eezv2f1/File%20Jul%2015%2C%204%2002%2015%20PM.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/enisggyw3hkhh5e/File%20Jul%2015%2C%204%2002%2023%20PM.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gkw4lksq41ye39x/File%20Jul%2015%2C%204%2002%2035%20PM.png?dl=0

if you need further assistance just reply back , if you are satisfied just hit the rating tab .

A positive rating is much appreciated .

Please let me know

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what are steps to check that alarm system is working or not...means how can i simulate the scenario in which alarm gets triggered....thats would be good test to check the system...

keep driver door window down ,lock all doors and trunk and hood lock the car from driver side outside lock cylinder and pull the key out

then reach thru the window and unlock and open the door , that should trigger it , if you really want to, i sent you picture of horns, unplug them ? it will stay go ff at night bu not siren noise :)

best you can do with no scanner

please dont forget to rate me before you exit since that is how we get compensated

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) i followed your steps and observed that alarm doesn't trigger ..please can you tell me what could be reason.( i already mentioned earlier that security system light at dashboard is not flashing/On)
(2) Please can you tell me what is reason that alarm system triggers at night without any reason...

whish i could , with out a scanner i can not i will be guessing , i m sorry , i wish a had a magical answer for you on this , but with out the lack of proper equipment , i just cant

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please can you advice where could I can go for scanner.How much usually they charge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cost is issue that's why taking your help to resolve this issue.

ok no problem, i will tell you how you can have your own scanner

do you have like a smart phone iphone or android ?

for cheap

http://www.obdreaders.com/Nissan/Altima/

this one will be better since it is Nissan specific

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already have one OBD tool ( photo attached) and also have android phone also..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Want also tell that there is no check engine light on dashboard.....

you have only an obdII engine code reader only , the vehicle has more modules than that including the anti theft module, all you reading is engine codes and you dont have any because you car engine is running fine ,you can not find out what is wrong with you security alarm siren with out getting the diagnostic scanner that can read those modules

i m sorry the $50 code reader just want do what you are trying to find out .

let me know if you need anything else on it

Chad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Chad,Thanks to educate me....Please can you tell me which one i can buy.
when i open below link it shows lots of
http://www.obdreaders.com/Nissan/Altima/Please can you send me exact link of diagnostic scanner device within $50-$60...i will order same and scan it for you.

that is no problem, i dont expect you to know this :),your good .

, i m signing off, for the night , but i promise in morning i will check what is best for you

it might be more than 50 60 for the scanner we need let me see and let you know

or figured out a different if possible if you willing to do some testing .

I like to be rated at this time , since that is how we get compensated for our time.

Thank You

Chad (aka-jhook1398)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you told "$50 code reader just want do what you are trying to find out "..please let me which code reader you are talking about...let me go for code reader as cost is concern and thats why taking you help :)Def. will give good rating and recommend you when issue will get resolve or i get the root cause.

i still have few minutes , i just looked at the scanners needed , you taking $1100 cheapest that has Asian software needed

i know that is way more than the budget , might be cheaper to take to shop that has capable scanner and get what you need

all other scanners for most part code readers , maybe some live data , but that is about it, like European cars has specific Europeans software same thing with Asian cars

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OTC-3875-2014-Genisys-EVO-Scan-Tool-2014-Domestic-Asian-2013-Euro-Software-/282023538750?hash=item41a9e9b03e:g:G3gAAOSwYaFWcgRH&item=282023538750&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Launch-X431-V-X431-PRO3-Launch-431-ScanPad-Wifi-Bluetooth-System-Diagnostic-/112034600352?hash=item1a15c855a0:g:5asAAOSwnNBXaauF

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
$1000+ is too much.
It means scanner at shop will tell the issue...then i could say i didn't get any reply from you.what about below link shared by you.
https://www.amazon.com/iKKEGOL-Diagnostic-iPhone-Switch-Sleep/dp/B00PFFG1PS/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1468630872&sr=8-12&keywords=wireless+obdii+plug+for+iphone

no worries man , Can not do magic :) , will send the call for customer service for refunds so you will get your $5 back

i m sending right now for you

good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me lend scanner tool and run it for you.Please let me what i need to check and inform you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i m not worry about $5.:)
wanna resolve it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At O'reilly i can lend the tools...
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you still require help with this? I noticed that the original expert has opt'd out cause he felt he can no longer help you. So if you require help with this, just let me know and I will do the best I can to give you direction in what you would need to do to resolve your issue.

Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please advice Jay.
Security alarm LED is not blinking and alarm doesn't trigger when i tried to trigger the alarm with below steps- keep driver door window down ,lock all doors and trunk and hood lock the car from driver side outside lock cylinder and pull the key out then reach thru the window and unlock and open the door.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I will be online around 7 pm EST. Can we work on your issue then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello Jay...today in the evening i parked my car and closed the door...and just walked towards my home..suddenly alarm got triggered..when i came back and insert key inside driver side door and open the door..it stopped...i also observed that this time security alarm light was flashing...please advice...Please tell me time..i will try to talk to you on that time...thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jay...TODAY MORNING around 4:00am i heard again alarm got triggered for around 15 seconds. (that must be my car)..when i reached up to my car it got stopped...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jay..Please can you reply and help..
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

hello, I am sorry I had a event that required my attention for the past few days. I will be online later this evening around 7 pm EST. Can we continue then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure...lets talk @7pm EST timing.Please see all the information which i provided you.thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for waiting for me. Lets see if we can figure this out for you. Of course it would be easier with a scanner to see what the alarm is seeing open that is causing the alarm to go off. So what I am going to ask you to check may require some time to isolate if possible.

First I want to make sure the alarm light you are looking at is the one on the top of the dash by the windshield

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was talking about same alarm light which is ohe top of the dash by the windshield.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you lock the car with the key, does it turn solid for 10 to 20 seconds then flash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jay,I just checked that light on dashboard is not flashing now...(car is parking under sunlight...it could be not visible to me )...
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

What state are you in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
San Jose in CA.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ahh. I am in NJ so we have a big time difference. Well let me start with explaining how the factory alarm system works. Cause we want to see if it's working properly or not as a first thing.. Give a few mins to type out how it works.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok Jay...but i checked yesterday night that LED was flashing on dashboard.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The Factory alarm system uses all door switches, truck switch and if equip, a hood switch. These switches all tell the Body Control Module (BCM) the vehicles state. If a door is open or closed and so on. So when you go to lock the car, the BCM wants to see all of those switches in a closed position. If it doesn't, it may not arm the alarm properly or can cause it to go off like you are explaining. Now it is normal for that light to flash most of the time. To know if the system is operating, meaning it's seeing all the closed signals when you lock the car is if the security light turns solid after you lock it and it stays solid for 10 to 20 seconds then blinks.

So that is one operation we need to check first. Once we have checked that, and if it does turn solid, then let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Jay..let me go and check it again.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jay..this time i am seeing that LED at dashboard is not flashing and it doesn't turn solid after locking the doors.
i opened all doors and trunk and closed properly....but nothing happened..but i know yesterday night it was blinking and its turned solid after locking the door.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok... cool. If you go around and open each of the 4 doors, does the dome light come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jay...this time when i went to check..that LED was flashing on dashboard.
I opened all door and checked that dome light didn't come up.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The dome light did not come on with any of the doors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think dome light (i think its a light above between the fornt seats..please confirm) is switched off thats why it didn't come up.
If you want i could go and turn on that light and lock the car then again unlock the door and open the door/doors.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Yes, make sure the setting on the dome light is for the doors so it comes on and off when the doors are open and closed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked that dome light is always "on" when it is in "ON" or "middle"..irrespective of door opening or closing.
when its "OF" then always "off "...irrespective of door opening or closing.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok.. If it's always on when it's in the Middle, it means it is seeing something is open which can certainly affect the alarm issue you are having.

How handy are you?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/IMG_38211.jpg

That is the position it should be in so when you open the door the light comes on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am talking about this pic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok..i got it..please advice what i need to do next.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That is the dome light. But you it should be in the middle like my image for it to come on and off when the doors are opened and closed.

How handy are you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i checked it was in the middle...might be when i clicked picture on that time its off.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Are you fairly handy?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It is almost 10 pm where I am and I need to get off line early tonight. Can we continue tomorrow evening around 7 pm EST again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure..lets continue tomorrow evening around 7 pm EST again..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jay,I found $30 gone out from account for same question.Why ?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You should only have been charged for this one question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already paid $20 for this question....please advice what i need to do ?..do you want i need to call customer care .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
regarding dome light..i checked they are off when all doors are closed and LOCKED.......when unlock then its turned on...even doors are closed.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

So the dome light is working properly? It may turn the dome light on when you unlock the car. The key thing is that each door you open the light turns on, and when you close the door, the light goes off.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

You can go to this link to inquire on the charges

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about billing i will talking to customer care..thanksRegadring dome light...
It may turn the dome light on when you unlock the car.
>>Yes unlocking the car turn on the dome light.The key thing is that each door you open the light turns on, and when you close the door, the light goes off.
>>yes when i open the door (def. after unlocking) it turn ON....and it will be turn ON only after opening the doors also...but when close the door and lock (i was inside in the car when tested) then only dome light turn OFF.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Don't lock the car. Leave it unlocked.. then start the car and turn it off. Open the drivers door should turn the light on. Then close it. The light should go off with in 10 to 20 seconds. Then try the next door and see if each door turns the light on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i checked and found that when start the car and turn off...dome light turns ON.(even doors are unlocked)
I didn't found any situation where doors are closed or unlocked and dome light is OFF.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The dome light does have a timer. If you close the doors and wait. Does the dome light ever turn off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Want to address 1 thing also....that alarm triggers daily almost 4:00AM...don't know why this time.
and alarm triggers just for 1-12 seconds only....after that stop..
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Every morning? Does a train go by or anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No train nothing ..even changed my parking place as others were getting problem....same problem...might be some loose connection...not sure..few days ago there was no alarm as might be alarm system disabled (LED was not flashing that time and when i triggered to simulate attack..then also alarm didn't triggered )..but now LED is flashing and getting this issue almost daily in the morning.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

This alarm is not a motion triggered alarm. It would only be set off if it sees a signal from a switch. Possibly from a door adjustment or a bad door switch. That is why I am trying to have you check the door switches.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi jay...i just checked and found that car dome light turn off after closing all doors (it took around 10-12 seconds to turn OFF)..then i opened and closed all door one by one ....dome light turns ON after opening the doors and turn OFF closing the doors..checked with all 4 doors.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Perfect.. That is good.

Now lets open the hood and see if you have a hood switch. Once you open the hood, do you think you can take a picture of your whole engine bay area so I can see if I can locate the switch?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It is normally located by the drivers head light and front grill area

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jay..sending you snapshot within 5 mins..got stuck with some person. because in office.thx
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. Thanks..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just took pictures...if possible please send me snapshot...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible can we chat tomorrow....in office and need to go in a meeting.thanksPlease tell me tomorrows time..
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the pictures.. Can you take one little further back. I want a full picture. The hood switch should be mounted on the upper radiator support.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please can you give which picture i have to take little further back..(Please can you mention picture number)
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

All of them are to close.. Hold on, let me show you a picture of what I mean

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jay..i will click the same picture..Please can we chat tomorrow.
Please give the time so delicately i can talk to you...here from office little difficult..
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

No problem, I need to get to sleep anyway. I am working again tomorrow. So I will talk to you again tomorrow evening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If possible lets talk little earlier..and i will be very handy and close to car..here i need to run to parking ...:)
Please can you give me time for tomorrow.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I get out of work at 4 pm on Saturday. So I maybe online around 6 pm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6 pm EST..
thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Here I am! 6:18...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI JAY...SENDING YOU SNAPSHOT.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

k

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more..please help me to find the same..
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Don't need any more!

I found what I am looking for. Now editing the image

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Unplug this switch, and lets see if the alarm stops going off!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Hood%20Switch%20Altima.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean..after unplug this switch ..we need to wait and watch.....am i correct ?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if it goes off every night, lets see if we have a night with out it going off after we unplug that switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Jay...we i need any screwdriver or wrench to unplug it...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do i need any screwdriver or wrench to unplug it...
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You can simply either reach in and unplug it. If you can't reach the plug, the switch is secured by one 10 mm bolt. So if you take that bolt out, you can remove the switch and unplug it that way also.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me do and send a pic for ur ref..
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

sure!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please can you tell..how to take it out....some white pipe is visible only... sending u a pic..after opening the rubber cover..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took it outside.... please tell me what I need to do that attached unit....it's hanging now....
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Pinch the gray plug lock and pull it off the switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did...let's wait and watch for next 2-3 days........so after detaching this unit now alarm will not be triggered...am i correct ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any problem I could face after detaching this hood switch... please confirm
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

All you are doing by unplugging this is eliminating that part of the security system.

Meaning, the Alarm wants to see all doors, trunk and hood closed for it to arm. If you unplug the hood switch, it will not look for it. It will only look for the doors and trunk. So all you are doing is eliminating that part of the security system by unplugging it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me update you after 2-4 days if alarm doesn't trigger....if it triggers then ping you immediately.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You got it. Let me know how you make out!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI Jay...i observed that, the day i took out hood switch that day on wards alarm system is disable......i have not being seen security alarm system light flashing on dashboard from that day on wards.......alarm system is disabled from that day on wards.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The alarm should not be disabled. But if it stopped going off you can leave it like this!

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jay....today morning again alarm triggered...when i reached..it was disable....Please can you tell me how can i disable this security alarm..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i checked that LED at dashboard is not flashing...suspect some loose connection or something else.Please let me know how to get disable it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why i am telling disable...because i didn't see LED light flashing at dashboard.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The factory alarm can not be disabled. When the alarm is going off, do you see the parking lights flashing or the head lights flashing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will watch for flashing the lights once again...as I remember I saw last time parking lights were not flashing...
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The lights flashing would tell me what type of alarm the car has.

The factory alarm light with the hood switch unplugged should still turn solid when the car is locked for 10 to 20 seconds, then start to flash.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any method to reset the programming of alarm system (might be take out the battery wires and connect it back after 5-10 mins....)....not sure this will work or not....just let me know your advice...I want to address 1 more thing that around 2-3 months back i changed spark plugs and laminated few cables which are close by to that engine compartment with isolation tape....
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I am limited to one topic per question.

The factory alarm does not have any type of reset.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Jay.The factory alarm light with the hood switch unplugged should still turn solid when the car is locked for 10 to 20 seconds, then start to flash.
>> I am not seeing any LED flashing/turn solid at dashboard for a long time after taking out hood switch (also saw that LED behavior intermittently turn ON/flashing and turn off after giving attention on this issue)....(presently LED is always turn off).
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/security%20light%202002-2006%20Altima.jpg

That is where the security light is located. If you see the light in a different location, take a picture and show me please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am talking about this security LED only which is on dashboard between the steering and driver side viper.Presently this LED is not flashing...and never turns ON. (Again confirming after pasting your link below)https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/security%20light%202002-2006%20Altima.jpg
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

do you have a picture of this light? This could be a after market alarm you are dealing with.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure i will share picture with you in next message.
I need to go outside ..Please can you confirm what time we can talk in the evening.Thanks.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Weekends I normally am not online that much. But it is going to rain all weekend so I most likely will be on and off the day and night.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

How are you making out with the alarm. I have not heard from you so I am assuming that it's been good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jay.... after that I realized that security light is not flashing at dashboard and alarm also not triggered..... please can you tell why security light not flashing at dashboard?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Is it not flashing when you lock the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It not at all flashing now....never even after or before closing the doors,in night, day...I am not seeing flashing light in any condition.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Talking about this dashboard flashing light.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It stopped flashing after unplugging the hood switch? Has the alarm stopped going off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It stopped flashing after unplugging the hood switch?
>>Yes..Please advice about it.Has the alarm stopped going off?
>>Yes.....Did not hear and not reported by any neighbor.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well if the alarm stopped going off after the hood switch has been unplugged, that means we have isolated the cause of why the alarm was going off. So lets just plug it back in now and then see if the alarm light returns to normal operation.

Let me know

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Hello, Just checking in since I have not received a Rating. Do you have any more questions on this?

If not, please Rate me so I can get credit for my work.

Thanks Jay!