Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I'm changing my tumbler/ignition assy because my wheel nor

Customer Question
ignition will turn w/key. JA: Is...
I'm changing my tumbler/ignition assy because my wheel nor ignition will turn w/key.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It's in park and I'm assuming it does. 2008 sentra
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have the ignition switch off. Tried to turn w/screwdriver but it didn't start the engine.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
6/27/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Is this the knob type of ignition where you can keep the key on you and just turn the knob to start the car?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No its a regular ignition/insert key.

Does the key lock and unlock the door? Did you try to turn the wheel while trying to turn the key?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The key does unlock the door. I tried to turn, jiggle tap on the under side of the ignition assy and on the key itself w/a mallet.

Don't use a Mallet... Is the car on a hill?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Car is on a flat surface.

Did you try turning the wheel to the right and inserting the key and attempt to turn it while slowly applying pressure to the steering wheel? Then try turning it to the left?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That was my 1st course of action.

Did you try to raise the front wheels off the ground to take pressure off the steering lock?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did that as well.

Then the steering lock is jammed. To release it the ignition switch will need to be removed. To remove it you need to back off the tamper proof bolts by either drilling them out or by using a punch

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok...I had out the ignition switch; do I need to take off the whole assembly?

Yes, cause the whole assembly has the steering lock as part of it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for my sporadic responses (work). But I have free time now. Questions I have..I had the switch out and tried to start the vehicle using a srewdriver, the car lit up but would not start 2) how do I drop the steering column to punch the safety bolts to release the assembly

Well, if you tried to use a screw driver to start it, I am sure the screw driver does have a chip in it for it to start the car. On the end of the ignition switch is the NATS antenna ring which reads the chip in the key. The steering lock is a mechanical function. When you turned the ignition, did the steering lock release?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No the steering lock did not release.

Then you need a complete ignition switch assembly. The steering lock is a mechanical function of the ignition switch assembly.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. would you suggest an aftermarket assembly w/a generic key?

You have to get a ignition from the dealer. You have to use a chip key. Other wise it will never start since the computer is looking for a chip signal to allow the car to start.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician