Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

What is causing a pinging occasionally in my 2004 Nissan

Customer Question

what is causing a pinging occasionally in my 2004 Nissan maxima I have cleaned my air flow sensor but still pinging
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Maxima.

Pinging is also known as pre-detonation and is what occurs when 2 flame fronts collide in the combustion cylinder. There are some causes to this possible with some very common and some much less.

What fuel octane rating are you using now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using an 89 octane BP fuel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am retired and cannot afford to pay all this money for phone calls etc.

I understand. This is usually caused by carbon build-up on the pistons and can be cleaned off using a cleaner. Do you have a repair shop you trust and use normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO

I see. The two things you can do to help stop this is use a fuel additive like Gumout (which can be bought at almost any autoparts store) and/or switch to the 91 Octane rated fuel. Does this make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand and will follow your instructions thank you very much.

If you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me as I have just helped you.