Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Engine overheats after relatively short rune especially

Customer Question

engine overheats after relatively short rune especially uphill
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: yes, coolant depletes quickly but a leak is not discernable
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: frontier V6 2006
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: if I cant do it myself I will refer to a qualified mechanic. Have tried looking for the leak but cant find it. the coolant dot not mix with the oil in the sump
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: engine works fine no misfires or smoky exhaust
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If you have noticed the coolant level dropping, but you have no leaks you could have a blown transmission cooler in the radiator. Check your trans fluid level and condition. See if it's over filled and pink and milky. If so, the trans cooler has failed and the transmission will need to be flushed right away in hope that the cross contamination does not damage it.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no brown transmission color in the radiator. The transmission is manual, not automatic and is not contaminated by leaks. Any other advice??
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well it's good that it's manual!

Are you verifying that you are loosing coolant cause you have to keep adding coolant to the over flow bottle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the coolant is depleted from the system (radiator and bottle) at a very fast rate, usually about 1 gallon every five minutes. Like I said before a leak is not discernible. The oil in the sump is not milky and the engine works fine....this is a very distressing situation for me...so far the advice offered by you has not helped.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you try a coolant pressure test?