Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I'm looking on cost services, 04 sentra, 2005, Sry 2004, I'm

Customer Question
I'm looking for information on...
I'm looking for information on cost for your services
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 04 sentra
JA: What year is your Nissan?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Sry 2004
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I'm not getting any spark or injector pulse
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
6/25/2016
Nissan Mechanic: C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic

Good afternoon, do you have a check engine light on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am getting code p0335 for crank sensor
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have checked and replaced cam and crank sensors the crank sensor is getting ground, 5v power and is sending a5v signal when engine is turning, the cam sensor is getting ground, a 12v input, and is giving a 10v signal when engine is turning. I have checked all wires back to the ecm and I am getting the same results there

Recheck signal voltage on the crank sensor Verify battery voltage to the crank sensor on the Red/Green wire. Verify ground for the crank sensor is good on the Black wire - look for 0.05 volts or less.
. Should be 8 to 10 volt square wave when cranking. Check to see if the sensor recall has been done. If not, do this first, #NTB01-081. Voltage drop powers and grounds at the ECM and replace if they are good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a 5v on red/green wire and I have a good ground and I have a 5 v wave on pink wire when cranking. Should there be 12 volts at the crank sensor? Also how would I find out if the sensor recall has been done?

It should get 8-10 volts when cranking this means it is not getting what is needed to start. Very good chance you have a bad ECM as you have already replaced the sensor. You would have to contact mazda to check and see what recalls have been performed. See attached recall letter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could I run a temp 12v wire to the power input on the crank sensor to see if it will start

No that will do damage to the ECM. The voltage from the other wire is correct so this is either an software issue wiring issue (wire between the ECM and the crank sensor) or the ECM has failed not giving you the 8-10 volt square wave signal. Attached wiring diagram so you can see for yourself. Sometimes we can fix things easy but other times it is a issue like this with no quick fix unless the wire is damaged going to the ecm.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I appreciate all your help but I'm having trouble understanding. Does the green/red wire supposed to have 5v? I have checked it at the crank sensor and the ecm both have 5v. Should it be higher because the cam sensor has 12v. Also the diagram u gave is different than my car it has the same plug but different wire layout may just have been a generic diagram I'm not sure

The red green wire should have battery voltage.

Also the wiring diagram should be the right one. It is for the 2003 nissan sentra with 1.8

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My car is an 04
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also did you get my first message about the car sitting for 3 yrs and I just installed this engine.

No for some reason I did not see that. Well that helps alot. You need to make sure the new engine and ecm match. If not you will need to get the dealership to program and sync the cam crank and ecu. Thats the reason it is not working.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I asked the dealer and they told me it shouldn't need programming, that the new engine should be a direct bolt in and start up. I was having issues with the car not running right before engine went out, then it sat for. 3yrs

I really do not see any other possible cause for the voltage coming from the ECM to be incorrect other than the programming or faulty ECM.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I'm going to check with dealer again Monday on the programming and look for a ecm to swap it out in the mean time. I'll let you know.

Without an actual lab scope anything you get on the yellow wire will be hard to know for sure if it is correct but the other wire should have 12v on it but you are getting 5v unless the wire has a bad connection it is the ecm here

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my signal wire is pink, could you get a wiring diagram for the 04?

Just did it is the same.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm sorry I keep saying 04 it's an 05

Tried an 05 to in 2002 it has a red wire but no pink

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On my crank sensor plug I have a green with red stripe (5v w/key on) pink (0-5v while turning engine by hand w/key on) and black with white stripe (ground). I traced them all the way to ecm plug and they are the same color there.

That is very odd, my manuals are from the manufacture so they should be identical. I am going to opt out and see if another expert can figure this one out as maybe i am missing something here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your help. Do I need to do anything or will someone else contact me?
Nissan Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Can you post the VIN?
Do you have the VIN from the vehicle the engine came from?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you need the whole vin I have 4th digit c and was told the one I bought was the same

I need the whole VIN's to try and determine if the engines are the same.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i do not have the vin from donor car.
My vin 3N1CB51D25L468346

What year were you told the engine was from?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2005

Did any parts have to be swapped when installing it because they were not correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, everything was exact, I swapped the cam and crank sensors when it wouldn't start but that's all.

Are you using the original crank sensor now from when the car was running?

How and where are you testing the signal from the sensor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Testing with a volt meter near plug, with key on, I have also tested the same wires near ecm plug with the same results.

I need to know the exact procedure you're using, meter settings and where wires are being placed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Key on sensor plugged in..(green wire with red stripe) red meter lead probed into this wire and black meter lead on good ground I have 5v.Key on sensor plugged in red lead probed in pink wire rotating engine by hand, voltage from 0 to 5vAnd on black wire with white stripe I have ohmed it to good ground and ground is goodI have traced the wires to the ecm plug and got the same results as above
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Meter set on 20v dc max

What voltage do you see on the red/green wire with the sensor unplugged?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
5v

What do you see with the main relay removed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which relay is the main relay? The one behind glove box?

IT's behind the glovebox and on the left.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only have on back there.. With it unplugged I have 5v at ckp plug

Does it change when you remove 10 amp fuse 36?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can not find a fuse 36, checked under hood and inside. Am I missing it?

It's in the box under the hood.

Are you positive you supplied the correct VIN? Your wire colors don't match either, as well as the sensor's reference voltage as mentioned previously.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's my under hood fuse box

Do you have battery voltage on the green/white wires at the coils while cranking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
10-11v

Have you checked crank sensor output directly at the ECM connector?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I probed the wire on the backside of the ecm connector and have same reading

A labscope should really be used, but if it's setting a P0335 yet crank sensor signal is present at the ECM then that wouldn't leave anything but the ECM; however it's failure would be unexpected. I question whether the crank tone wheel is correct and the engine is from the correct year.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The tone wheel is internal on this engine, is 5v the correct amount voltage for feed at the sensor?

Not according to the factory service information. The service information shows the sensor receiving battery voltage from the main relay, but what you're describing is a 5v reference from the ECM.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess I'll try the ecm, that's the direction I was heading anyway.

Good luck with it!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you tell me the part number for the ecm?

My catalog narrows it down to eight possible part numbers but I'm not able to narrow it any finer. If yours doesn't have a part number label then I would recommend having your dealer look it up by VIN.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
MEC63-270B1 is the number on the one in the car, is that one of the eight you have listed?

I'm showing possibilies of 237106Z64A, 237106Z65A, 237106Z60A, 237106Z61A, 237106Z665, 237106Z670, 237106Z62A, and 237106Z63A.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician