Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

My o2' Maxima started slipping while I was accelerating. I

Customer Question
Hi there, my o2' Maxima...
Hi there, my o2' Maxima started slipping while I was accelerating. I pulled over and put in park and proceeded but it happened again. After a few stops on the side the car went like normal to the house. There was no noises from the transmission,, what could it be
JA: What happens when you step on the gas? Do you notice a rough idle?
Customer: Yes
JA: What year is your Maxima?
Customer: 2002
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: If I can yes. I haven't tried anything yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It started in October. This is the third time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
6/22/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

Often - just doing the above cures many troubles with these - and you certainly can't condemn the unit without doing the above...

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Matt, Engineer