Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2003 Altima - had to remove radiator to replace alternator.

Customer Question
Refilled radiator and bled system...
2003 Altima - had to remove radiator to replace alternator. Refilled radiator and bled system. Now when using AC, compressor only engages when cooling fans turn on, and disengages when fans turn off. Tried bleeding system again today but same results. Is it a temperature switch problem?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?
Customer: 73,000 Yes, goo level good
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Tried bleeding system per Jay's recommendation on another thread but cant get AC to stay on without fan running.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/20/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Is the car running hot? If engine temp gets to high, the computer will kick off the compressor since it's a load on the engine.

Let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, not running hot according to gauge. About the same as before alternator replacement

You did't touch any AC lines right?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no, I didn't
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you still there?

sorry, wife was talking to me.

Trying to think what would cause this. If you bleed the coolant system the way I outlined it, you really should not have any issues. Was it doing this before the Alternator? Where did you buy the Alternator?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
happened after alternator replacement. purchased from local NAPA dealer

Do you have a Volt Meter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but did a load check with tester after replacement and alternator output was in the "good" range

What is the voltage with the vehicle running and head lights on and rear defroster ON?

It is very common for after market Alternators not to work properly. It could be intermittently not charging properly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
voltage was +13.5 if I remember correctly, steady output

That is low... It shouldn't be lower than 13.9 volts..

Normally with no loads, it should be 14.3 volts. With loads I would expect to see 13.9 to 14.1 volts.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it was closer to 14V now that I think about it.

May want to recheck those voltages.. Once with loads, and once with out. Loads meaning, AC on, Lights and Rear Defroster.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I suspect something with cooling system, because like you said when engine is hot it sees AC as a load and kicks it off.

Well you have two systems you need to look at. The charging system and cooling system. If charging system voltage spikes low, the computer will also turn the compressor off

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, can double check voltage. is there anything else I can check on cooling system if output checks out good?

Once you start the car and have it running, check voltages with loads off. Then turn the AC on, Head lights and rear defroster and double check voltage. Once you give me voltages, I will try to think if there is something else we need to check. It's sounding like it's going to be one of the two systems in my mind..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, but may be a while. How do I continue the chat, just keep this website open?

If you have to close this, all you need to do is to log back into JustAnswer.com and go to My Questions to return back to this question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, got it. thanks

Your welcome

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician