Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2003 maxima 3.5 GLE, Ok I replaced throttle body and sensor,

Customer Question

2003 maxima 3.5 GLE , Ok I replaced throttle body and sensor, throttle penal position sensors, timing sensor, and knock sensor as codes say. The car will crank but knocks a little, but won't accelerate. I've done relearn over over and it will crank and accelerate but then goes back to limp mode. I disconnected battery for 15 minute unplugged ecu module, plugged back in and turn the key to 1/2 position where check engine light was on and let stand for five minutes. Cranks up and runs normal as long as I don't let the rpm fall to less than 1000 but if I do back to limp mode. I've done all ther codes given and still the same. Idle and no acceleration and service engineer light back one. What's wrong?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What codes do you have or had exactly please? I would like to look at this issue from the beginning and work from there.

Let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2138 2135 1122 0327
These were at the start now we just have 1122.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It can do the 3 sec stop on gas 5 times count to seven the depress pedal but light never starts blinking and it crank and accelerate but it stops this as soon as let it go back to idle. Crazy!!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You have a APP circuit issue. Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. Not a throttle chamber. How good are you at performing diagnostics?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already replace the throttle pedal that the sensor is attached to also. I stated this in my original question. I guess I'm ok since I already performed what you're saying might be wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've seen people saying brake pedal sensor, alternator going bad and so on may also cause this. I have hours in this thing and I'm starting to think its a circus attraction if you know what I mean
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Allot of times when you have APP sensor issues, it's not the pedal. The APP sensor shares a 5 volt reference with 2 different systems. Replacing parts is not always the answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so what do I do to determine the resolution to this?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Two things to try for your issue. First locate the AC pressure sensor. This is located on the receiver dryer. Unplug this sensor since it shares a 5 volt reference and start the car and drive it and see if the car continues to go into limp mode. If it does, let me know. We can move on to the next circuit. If it doesn't, then we may have isolated your issue.

Give that a try and let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had this thing sold and it did this. I want it to go away but want it to run good for the new buyer in case his daughter is driving it or so on
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It may be a good idea to put the original APP sensor back in the car as well since after market electrical parts never work properly.

I understand how you want to make this car safe. So lets take things one thing at a time. Lets first unplug the AC pressure sensor and see if the problem gets resolved.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I need to step out for Fathers day dinner. I will be back in a couple hours. So take your time and let me know how you make out. Talk to you when I get back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I think I found it behind the radiator. It has a silver shield over it and a baby blu plus that runs to the sensor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unplugged that it it fired right up and accelerated. I'll drive it and see if it last.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never replaced the Acc sensor but will check on it now. Happy fathers day
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that didn't work. I'll make certain that the right one.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If that didn't work, try unplugging the Evap Vent Control valve and see if that does it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok backing up to get it on the jack to get under the back end give me a few
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Shouldn't need to jack it up. It's right in the drivers rear.. Oh.. Not vent control valve. Evap Pressure Sensor.. Sorry..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok it wasn't that either. I went ahead and put a colt meter in the battery and was having a hard time getting a 3.8 or better reading every once in a while it woul hit 3.8 which I understand is needed most the time or it upsets the brain. I can hear a rattle noise on the passenger side of the motor near the pulpy sister. Could be alternator or timing. I cleaned and replaced the front timing sensor but did not realize there was a back one. I'll clean it in the morning to see if that helps. The code did say bank 2 so maybe that's it.I also pulled the console apart thinking maybe it got wet and checked air bag connections and all the other leading under both power seats. Everything looks ok. I will clean one area with a little bit of corrosion but we unplugs and still not fix. As of now we have illuminated lots of things and can't wait to find the problem. I'm not liking this damn car much at all. It's a real doozy!! I'll wait for more advise to start on tomorrow. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took off bank 2 sensor last night I will clears it when I get off of work and let you know the outcome. I had to remove the end piece of the intake to get it out and it was filth. Should u clean that area out also it was held on with 3 12 mm and looks like the throttle but isn't the throttle its on the opposite side of the intake?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

This maybe easier to help you if we spoke.. I summited the offer for Premium Service. Let me know if you want to go this route to help resolve your issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already paid twenty and it's not resolved. I cleaned the bank b and the clatter stopped but still in limp mode. What's next.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I only see one question which means you have only paid for 1 question that I can see. I am recommending Premium Service. At that point we can talk on the phone one on one about your issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have not resolved my one question. I have not received the correct answer to get the car out of limp mode. I explained everything I did and have done everything you suggested so far. You took a break for Father's Day which I understand but so far I've been under the car and have followed you directions and its not resolved. I'm a little tight on money and card is maxed so I can't pay for premium right now and would appreciate getting this resolved. So you told me ac plug and Evap so far. You said it was a four circuit. Please inform me as to what's next to resolve my one original question please
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

This type of issue is tough enough working on when the car is in front of me. It's even harder when we can't talk, and we are just typing. I appreciate the understanding for fathers day. I will do what I can to continue to help you. But we may be limited on what we can do.

You said you unplug the AC pressure Sensor off the receiver Dryer and you unplugged the Evap Pressure sensor correct? It still goes into limp mode with both of them unplugged?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Can you share pictures showing me what you unplugged so I know you unplugged the correct thing? Also check the Dash Beam bolts. See video for location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOGR8baawE8

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jay the confusion came when you said the ac pressure sensor is on the receiver dryer it's not on the receiver dryer. I can send you the picture in of the dryer how do I send you a picture it appears to be I front of the radiator. I asked if it was the baby blue plug and didn't get your answer. Look at the Nissan sensor drawing there are a few plugs in the same area so I'm a bit confused there
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I never saw you ask about the plug color. I don't recall it anyway. I just noticed your question has two years. What year Maxima is this? The topic question shows 2004, but your question says it's a 2003

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2003
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

2003 Ac Pressure sensor goes into the condensor on the drivers side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll locate it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I have ac pressure switch off . Black plug driver side under relay box on the side of radiator and grey plug for the Evap but there is a green one beside the grey one and the grey one is closest to the black box behind the tire area? Still in limp mode.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Is it the gray plug for the Evap that is all the way on top? I am just trying to eliminate the two components that would share the 5 volt reference with the APP sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is higher than the green plug. Closer to the has cap
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gas cap sorry
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

There is a Vent Control valve that has a Gray plug and the Evap Pressure sensor which has a gray connector also. The evap pressure sensor is back by the canister but not on the canister. It's actually maybe a hands length away from the canister.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's the one I unplugged. I just noticed that when it in idle and in limp mode if I push the brake pedal and hold it the car stalls or almost stalls. Could the brake sensors be it?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Which codes are you getting exactly? Other than the Evap codes we created?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I gave you the codes and I can't move the car. I would think they are the same as they were when we started since we are still in limp mode. I don't have the code reader.. If I get the car out of limp mode I'll try to go back to auto zone to get codes again. Every 30 th try or so it might run.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Are you using a volt meter to check the 5 volt reference down at the APP sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wasn't told to check the ACC sensor yet. Where is it? I have a volt meter.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ACC sensor? never hear of that sensor in this car. That is a ignition position. Do you mean App?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
App sorry. I'm on my phone doing this so typo
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

App sensors are rare. Normally if you have a App code, either the AC pressure Sensor or the Evap Pressure sensor ( which shared the 5 volt reference ) is interrupting the circuit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jay, sorry again. My original question states that I already replaced the app sensor. The pedal and sensor are together.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I described it as throttle pedal position sensor
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The Throttle Position sensor is built into the Electronic throttle chamber. That is what I though you replaced. Where did you buy the parts? Also did you follow the diagnostic steps for the APP sensor I provided?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought multiple parts from a salvage yard off the exact model cars. We have colt tested all of them and they are ok. I can get the throttle body to work using my friend snap on computer but not without it.. So obviously it not getting the signal from the computer. I'm sorry for the delay I responded last week and I guess the site failed to load it?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok..I am not a fan of used parts, but did you go through the wiring and the steps I provided?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand that but I figured years parts that are working and are original to the car are better than remanufactured cheapo's.Yes I did.my friend is coming today for the second time. His snap on computer will help us out he left the key that prevented him from checking the signal from the computer last time. Hopefully we could diagnose if it's the computer not sending the signal or if it's a short somewhere else. I also have another friend that works with Nissan as a mechanic checking on some other solution. If you can think of anything else Id love to hear your responseThe other thing I did after reading, was disconnect the injectors one at a time to see if the relearn would work then. It was written that if the idol is too high that this problem would occur. It also says the claim them which I have not done. I will try that also.Jay, I got to give it to you! You haven't given up And it is very appreciated. If we get this thing figured out or not, I'll be certain to write a review about your diligence and efforts to help.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I don't like to give up. But I have only 2 more days to try to help you. Then I am on vacation for a week.

When you are at the APP sensor, does the red wire have 5 volts when this is acting up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does. We are not getting a reading from the throttle pedal position senso we are not getting a reading from the relay beside the battery for the throttlebody control to the computer. Well that's what my friend with the computers sad. But a couple hours after he left the car cranked and the seller rated and then quit again. I gas I will have to open the harness and try to track down that wire. But it does not make sense that it cranks and a ccelerates every once in a while
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Relay? It's a direct wire connection between the Ecm to the throttle chamber.

At this point I would be ohm testing and voltage dropping wires from the Ecm to the Throttle chamber and to the APP sensor.