Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

My 2001 nissan exterra has a problem where when it is run

Customer Question
alot it won't advance and...
My 2001 nissan exterra has a problem where when it is run alot it won't advance and states that it is overheating even when radiator and the reserve tank is full and will turn off and not run until the motor cools down.
I took it to a mechanic but he changed the catalysts and then said that it was the timing chain but none of these things seemed to work. I was wondering if maybe it was a sensor or the fuel injectors?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
6/15/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jake, Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician

hey there, thanks for the question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yw

So what are saying by it "won't advance"

are you referring to the fact that it won't accelerate? or won't build RPM's? or will it not move at all?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that's it

Does the engine actually stall out when this happens? or does it continue to idle fine, but won't accelerate?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sometimes it stalls out and sometimes it idles fine and won't accelerate

Do you know what trouble codes were present when it was scanned?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I wasn't told the codes

Codes would be extremely helpful at this point, but since you have none I can tell you a couple similar situations I have seen and what you can do to help find out which one best suits your predicament.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That would be nice thank you

If the engine sometimes stalls, but will not build RPMS when this happens. This is a good indication of a MAF problem. If it falls out of spec it will cause the fuel trims to be dramatically off and bog severely to where you can't rev up the engine.

Now if the vehicle won't move, but you can still rev the engine fine in all gears, then your looking at a transmission issue. Could be electrical causing a fail-safe condition.

Lastly, if the engine will still attempt to rev, but the RPMS seem erratic and jumpy and the engine just runs poorly all together. You need to inspect the distributor. Sometimes the shaft seal will leak on them and allow oil to slowly seem into the distridutor when driving. This will cause issues with the cam sensor in the distributor.

Best place to start unfortunately is either by see what all you CAN and can't do when it happens or to scan for codes when it happens.

If you run into any more questions later or get the codes from the mechanic and would like another opinion afterwards let me know.

I will be happy to help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh yes I had the mechanic change the distributor the spark plugs and their wires
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what sensor would I be looking for?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still there?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello

Hey there, i tried to respond to your original question the day you posted it, but it said CLOSED.

Wasn't sure if you asked customer service to close it or what.

Let me know if you still need help.

Jake
Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician