Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

My daughter's 2001 xterra's service engine light

Customer Question
came on. After hooking up...
My daughter's 2001 xterra's service engine light came on. After hooking up my code reader it had two codes on it. One for high temp. I filled it with fluid and the service engine light stayed on. I checked the codes again. The high temp code was gone but a "Knock" code "Circuit 1" appeared. What's this all about? Could the high temp and knock code be related. The car had been running just fine. The daughter is 21 and doesn't pay attention to gauges.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/15/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What are the exact code numbers your getting please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jay, I don't have the car with me tonight. I"ll have to get back to you after my daughter comes back to the house so that I can read the code again. Perhaps tomorrow night. BTW, I'm in Atl.

Not a problem. I think I can help you with what you got, but I just wanted the codes to be more 100% sure.

What it a engine over temp code? ( not getting into the knock sensor yet )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK...I've got the codes but please refer to my original question.My daughter called me last week to tell me her service engine light was on. She came to the house and my code reader said high temp coolant code P0217 cnf Mod 10 and Knock Sensor 1 circuit bank 1 P0325 Pnd . I put some coolant in the reservoir then. The high temp code went away but the Knock sensor code remained. Tonight I reread the codes and the same knock sensor code is still there. The engine sounds just fine. Is there a way to clear the code? An internet search says that the Knock code can be caused by high cooling temp. What do you say?BTW, it's my bedtime and I may not get your reply until the morning.

Ok, first off the Knock Sensor will never turn on the Service Engine Soon light. So when you get a code that does, such as the P0217 code, that is when you find out you have a knock sensor code. These knock sensors are fairly common to go on these trucks with time and age. If your not due for inspection, I would not worry about changing the knock sensor. But if you had to replace it, it's about 5 hours labor and the sensor is around 130 bucks.

As for the Coolant temp sensor code, This could be due to a bad thermostat, low coolant level or a bad fan clutch. If the coolant system had work done recently, it could simply not have been bleed properly.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The coolant was low last weekend and I added coolant to the reservoir. Tonight the coolant level looked good and temp gauge was normal. With the Knock Code still on the system, is the Service Engine light going to remain on until the sensor gets replaced? Is there a way to clear it? This code will prevent an emission inspection right?
Sorry for the delay. The knock sensor does not turn a service engine soon light on. So you can clear all codes. If the knock sensor codes doesn't clear, you address it when you are ready and the Service Engine Soon light won't be on.
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician